Preparing for an American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coachlight

Reaction score
Hey all...

I'm looking to make an American Brown as my next beer. For anyone living in St. Louis, I'm trying to get something close to The Civil Life's American Brown.

I've never built a recipe before, so I borrowed most of Northern Brewers Caribou Slobber recipe, but have substituted the Wyesat 1332 with the 1272 instead (hearing that 1332 is a bit fruity and 1272 will yield more nuttiness, which I think is fitting for the ABA).

So - any suggestions - specific grains or fermentables that have worked well for you? I'd like to hit somewhere around 6% ABV; nice balance of chocolate, coffee and nut.

Any input would be great - I'm just looking forward to brewing something that didn't come out of a kit that I bought.

Cheers.

I like using Special Roast in a nut brown or brown ale. If you can get brown malt, try that. I've made a nut brown with about 8 oz of Special Roast that turned out great. Not sure if the Special Roast will give you the flavor profile you want, but it does lend a nutty profile.

Hi Coachlight, I also live near the St. Louis area and was looking up Civil Life American Brown Ale recipes when I came across your post. My wife and I visited last night after tasting their beer for the first time at the Frosty Brewfest in Farmington a few weeks ago. We both fell in love with the American Brown Ale! Did you ever come up with anything for your brewing bill? I'd love to see what you came up with. Thinking about just getting close with some American Brown Ale recipe and perfecting from there over my next few batches.

Hi Evonnida, nice to meet you. I was at Civil Life Friday night and today! I'll certainly be making many, many more trips there.

Back