corn sugar vs. table sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster101

Reaction score
It's an age old debate, wondering if anyone has any thoughts? Like better carbing, or quicker, any off taste of one vs the other.

Well, I didn't quite have enough corn sugar when I bottled my last batch, so I added some table sugar as well. I've only opened two bottles so far, and they gushed foam for a solid 5 minutes after opening. Had about 2/3 of the bottle left and the beer tasted fine. Maybe the CO2 just wasn't absorbed into the liquid yet.

Or, could it be the combination of 2 types of sugar that caused them to be over-carbonated?

I've used table sugar for my last 4 batches. The first 2 seemed undercarbed but the last 2 turned out great. Time seems to be the factor. I'm going to use corn sugar next to see if there is any difference. No noticeable taste from what I can tell.

I prefer corn sugar, just because its simple and cheap.

?????? ....... I use cane sugar, for exactly the same reason.

I see no difference between the two, and plain table sugar is cheap and readily available. I've used it for the past 50 or so brews.

Just remember to adjust the amount of the sugar you use as table sugar provides more fermentables for the same weight.

Yup,less table sugar is needed compared to corn sugar for the same amount of co2 by volume. That could be why you got gushers. Over & above the non-absorbed co2 providing nucleation points that creat gushers. Another reason I give my ales 2 weeks fridge time. Get as much of the co2 in the head space into solution as possible. Some beers need more conditioning time at room temp first,some of mine even needed more than 2weeks fridge time. But 2 weeks is good for most pale ales,EB/ESB's & the like.

I started using 3/4 cups of corn sugar for 5 gallons. I was out of corn sugar once and substituted 2/3 cups of table sugar. I could not tell the difference, so have switched to only table sugar. It is readily available and much less expensive.

Anyone use raw/turbinado sugar for bottling? I've been using it here and there to bump the gravity a touch and lighten the body of a couple of different ales and like it, but haven't used it for bottling.

Back