How lmuch light is to much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesehed007

Reaction score
I ave 1st brew fermenting in our wash room. In a shower we don't use since our son I off to college. The shades are down and curtain drawn. It's been in there for a few days. Today I poked a hole in a Hefty bag and put over the carboy... Just wondering. Thanks!

I have one of mine covered with a beach towel with a slit in it for the neck, and the other wrapped with a dark colored t-shirt I cut up the back so it would fit snug. I know that light kills the resins and yeast during the fermentation process so as long as the fermenter is covered it should be alright.

I know that light kills the resins and yeast during the fermentation process so as long as the fermenter is covered it should be alright.

I've never heard that light kills yeast. I'm 99.9% sure that's not true. Try as you might, I don't think you can "kill the resins" with light either.

The only issue with light and beer is blue, green, and UV light interacts with an chemical compound in hops to produce sulfurs that "skunk" the beer. I don't know scientifically how much it takes, but I ferment all of my beers in uncovered glass carboys in a spare bedroom with two windows with normal cheap blinds, and have never had an issue.

I can only deduce that exposure to indirect light for 4-6 weeks at a time is not enough to skunk beer, therefore your beer covered with a bag in the shower with the shades drawn is going to be just fine.

I used to ferment in a bathroom that had a small window with blinds, no covers over the carboy. Indirect light is fine, as long as it's not prolonged exposure, and I think it would have to be pretty long.

I've never heard that light kills yeast. I'm 99.9% sure that's not true. Try as you might, I don't think you can "kill the resins" with light either.

The only issue with light and beer is blue, green, and UV light interacts with an chemical compound in hops to produce sulfurs that "skunk" the beer. I don't know scientifically how much it takes, but I ferment all of my beers in uncovered glass carboys in a spare bedroom with two windows with normal cheap blinds, and have never had an issue.

I can only deduce that exposure to indirect light for 4-6 weeks at a time is not enough to skunk beer, therefore your beer covered with a bag in the shower with the shades drawn is going to be just fine.

Yeast stress is of coarse a big issue in fermentation and anything you can do to keep them yeasties calm the better, UV light stresses yeast. I was only quoting what I have been informed of from crew at my local HBS. I was incorrect with my wording in "kills yeast". UV will break down the resins inside the carboy. Everyone has their own method and some insist to know more than others, I'm still noob so do as you may.

Back