Forced carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CelticBrew14

Reaction score
I took my first stab at for carbing in my corney and ran into issues. I picked up the who kegging set up and force carbed my ale at 30psi. Problem was I did not have room in my fridge so tried to get away with rolling the keg for 15 minutes to get it saturated. I then left the pressure on for a week. The keg was in my basement at 58*F. I decided to bottle it with my brew gun and foam was an issue but I got the bottles filled. When I pulled a sample before bottling the carbonation was pretty decent. I open a bottle yesterday and it was flat as a pancake. No carb what so ever. What are my options? I used flip tops so could I sanitize the 20 bottles I filled and return them to the keg and force carb again ( I know have fridge room) or have I wasted 20-20 oz bottles?

When you put it at 30psi did you leave the co2 on? Im just getting into kegging myself. From what Ive read, it would sound like you would have over carbed it so I have no idea why it would be flat...are you sure the bottles were sealed well?

This example is for 12 OZ bottles, 24 bottles, and a five (5) Gallon batch

You could,,, take a pint of water, desolve 2 OZ of corn sugar, open each one and put two teaspoons of the sugar water in each and wait two weeks and see what happens.

Follow normal boiling and such directions for priming.

You will have to do your own math...

I have to do this for an undercarbonated Amber.... I have 4 cases and plan to do this to one as a test.

BUT::: I would not pour this beer back and forth because you will get O2 in it and it will go "skunky"....

DPB

I would imagine you let quite a bit of Co2 out of suspension it your keg was @ 58 F and your bottles were @ room temp, but all of them totally flat is a bit of a mystery. In my experience bottle filling from a keg the colder the better both the keg and the bottles . As for putting the beer back into a keg, I would worry about oxidizing it in the process.

Assuming you have tested more than one bottle, since you used swing tops my recommendation would be getting carbonation tablets. Add the required number to each bottle to reach your desired level and set them aside for a month.

carb tabs.jpg

I only opened one but plan on checking another one tonight. I am going paste my LHBS tonight so I can pick up those tabs (he has them) and drop them in. I really want to try and salvage this as it is a very accurate clone of Fullers London Pride, one of my favorites. I guess this is all a learning experience. This is my 7th batch of brew since starting in March and my first keg. Thanks for the advise. Next to go into the keg is a black IPA and I will cold carb and chill my bottles as well. I like to bottle since I am the only one who drinks beer at home and I meet up with my relatives who brew about every 3 months due to distance. Therefore bottles are best but I want the consistency if force carb.

I don't think it's possible to bottle carbonated beer warm. The foaming means that the c02 comes out of solution, causing the beer to be flat in the bottle. In order to bottle with the beergun, the beer needs to be cold and well carbed. I've done it often with 40 degree beer and bottles, with great results.

Back