Contrasting Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybox

Reaction score
There's a lot about which yeast to substitute, but I'm interested in exploring the differences between yeasts and have, perhaps, a beginner's palate.

I'm planning on making 10 gallon batches and splitting into two, substituting two different yeasts but otherwise treating the same.

I think my first batch is going to be an IPA (Probably this Two Hearted clone).

Any recommendations on two different yeasts to explore? Is the distinction between British Ale (say S-04) vs American Ale (e.g. US-05) significant enough for an amateur to pick up? Or should I go out further and do a belgian yeast? Or should I really go off the reservation and pitch one with, say, Forbidden Fruit?

I'd really like for the beers to come out tasting different, at least for this first experiment. I'm worried that some of the differences will be too subtle.

Good idea, I've done lots of those types of experiments, really helps you to get to know ingredients and what they bring to your beer.
I'd start by trying yeasts that you think you will use a lot, so maybe 001/1056/Saf05 vs an english such as Saf04 or 007.
Another to consider would be a kolsch strain - I'm currently doing a side by side comparison of a safale 05 and WY2565 in an APA.
I'd personally steer clear of belgian yeasts with an IPA style beer - they'd certainly taste different but getting belgian yeasts to play nicely with citrus hops can be tricky - you might end up with a keg of beer that you have to serve with an apology...
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Are you looking to see the difference between 2 similar yeasts or very different yeasts.

For instance you could do WLP001, Wy1056 and US05 which are all supposed to be the same.

Or you could us an American Style, and maybe a British style or possibly a Belgian.

Pay attention, too, to fermentation temperature. At higher temperatures, say 70-75 degF, you'll tend to get fruity flavors aplenty from an English or Belgian yeast, while the American yeasts generally will still be neutral. But as you get nearer to 60-65 degF, the yeasts will all tend more toward more subtle fruitiness and the flavors will therefore become increasingly similar.

I'm looking for "different, but similar", I think.

Anybody tried a comparison like this with Saf-04 and Saf-05?

my last experiment was 05 and notty in a west coast pale ale at 68F. Big differences, 05 was crisp and hoppy. Notty was fruity and dulled the hops. Try the 04 / 05.

Back