Adding flavoring ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rptitus

Reaction score
My wife wanted me to make Cherry Wheat beer for her father.... From what I've read do I just add the flavoring before I bottle the beer?

Bottling bucket. Don't add too much though, it will be awful. I have a few cases from months back that I still can't drink. Don't just follow the label, look online also for the correct amount to add.

I add mine with the bottling sugar then rack on top.

Yup, I brew a Peach Wheat and use a 4oz container of Peach extract added to the bottling bucket along with the priming sugar and rack the beer on top. I brew 6 gallon batches and the 4oz is the perfect amount.

PackerfaninSanDiego said:
you two rack the beer on top? Why? you don't mix the flavoring and sugar in the beer?

Boiled sugar goes into bottom of bottling bucket along with flavoring. Rack on top and stir when carboy's empty. I don't trust the whirlpool anymore, so I stir to make sure.

I bought a bottle of flavoring and it didn't come with instructions at all. Where can you find suggested amounts?

Halbrust said:
I bought a bottle of flavoring and it didn't come with instructions at all. Where can you find suggested amounts?

Try the website or google orrrrr the hbt search.

Be careful with cherry extract...they can make the beer taste like cough syrup. I've steered clear of them for that reason, and go with pure 100% dark cherry or tart cherry juice or concentrate you can find in the grocery store.

http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/just-juice/organic-just-tart-cherry

Image tart cherry would be better in a wheat. Maybe 1 full 32oz bottle.

Remember though, unlike extract, if you add cherry juice, you will get more fermentation activity due to the sugars being added so I wouldn't do it at bottling time unless you scale back on the priming sugar and are able to calculate exactly how much sugar the juice is replacing to prime the bottles.

Back