canned cooper real ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstack

Reaction score
Going to try my third batch in about 5 yrs. Not a real brewer obviously. Anyway I've had good luck with canned kits. Thinking about the cooper real ale from Austin HS

Only thing I think I need is a Hydrometer to check SG right? Didn't use one and had mixed results the first two times.

How much dextrose will I need for this size kit?

Oh yea got the bucket kits and grolsh bottles.

Care to share your thoughts?

I see you're from the same town as the late,great Armond Holley. One of the greatest short track drivers ever. I use the cooper's cans in my own recipes. You should add some 1 or 2lbs of plain light DME instead. It'll give the cooper's can more mouth feel & flavor. Besides just ABV that the dextrose would. Unless you like your beers a little drier. Also,the Original Series (usually called OS here) have some bittering only with Pride of Ringwood hops. So adding an ounce or two of flavor/aroma hops works real well.

You need a thermometer to pitch at the right temp too. And some hot water to rinse out the kit can to the last drop. Might be o.k. with 3 lbs dextrose.

3lbs of dextrose is a bit much. Even the cooper's brewing sugar is only 1kg,about 2.2lbs. Too much dextrose will give that cidery flavor too easily,not to mention thin down the flavor. I've used both,& prefer to add plain DME. Maybe 250g or so of demerara or brown sugar to add a little complexity. I've found that plain DME is way better than just adding ABV.

Thanks for the help.
Ok I'm off to the acronym faq for sure.

I have dextrose left from last project but I'll check into the other suggestions.

If you're buying a kit from austin homebrew, I'd suggest ditching the canned cooper's kit and buying a better quality kit. They have hundreds and hundreds, and you can make an awesome beer with a good quality kit. Skip the dextrose completely, and the canned pre-hopped extract, and get an extract kit with freshly crushed grain, extract, hops and a good quality yeast (Safale S05 is a good dry yeast). The difference is remarkable in quality and taste!

Latest posts

Back