Splitting a 23l can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LChap

Reaction score
Hi - I have a Williamswarn 10l kegging system. If I use a 23l kit and split it between 2 10l kegs for fermenting will I need to purchase another lot of yeast, also the kits takes 1kg of dextrose, do I just halve it and what do you think it will do to the taste? I also assume it will increase the alcohol. The kit I am looking at using is the Coopers Real Ale which I assume will be around 4%. Any assistance would be appreciated.

@LChap, I think you're not getting answers because your post is hard to understand. To start with, if you split 23l between two 10l kegs, 3l winds up on the floor. :p Don't Coopers kits suggest adding a couple of liters of heated water to the sugar and the extract before the rest of the water is added? If so, just split that part one half per keg, and top up each kegs. You you could pitch half the yeast in each. You will wind up a few liters short of 23, but that won't hurt. Yes, dextrose increases the alcohol with out really adding taste, but beer made with sugar vs. malt extract, does taste different.

In response to your answer because I still don't really understand:
How do you put 11.5 liters in a 10 Liter keg?
Why are you thinking about adjusting the dextrose?
Why isn't the dextrose mixed in before you fill the kegs?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. Just wondering what the impact would be if I put exactly half in each keg, that would mean 11.5 of the kit in each one. Should I then adjust the dextrose or also leave that at 500 in each? I assume that would change the level of alcohol. I am relatively new to this so please excuse my lack of understanding.

Latest posts

Back