RIMS questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimL

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to be building a RIMS setup soon, and I had a few preliminary questions that I didn't find answered elsewhere, so I thought I'd post.

I've attached a drawing of my basic setup.

I've never used a pump or RIMS tube before, so I wanted to check on a few things.

1) To "prime" the pump, do I simply open the valve on the MLT to let the wort flow into the pump, and leave the valve on the pump outlet closed? Or should the outlet valve be open for this?

2) I've seen RIMS tubes placed both horizontally and vertically in various setups. Are there advantages to either way, or is it mostly due to how it fits your particular setup?

3) I'll be using a Chugger pump. The FAQ for the pump says to not run it dry. Does this mean I have to leave some wort in the hoses when I turn off the pump? Or does that mean the pump has to have some liquid in the head before turning it on?

RIMS diagram.png

Hi, I am going to be building a RIMS setup soon, and I had a few preliminary questions that I didn't find answered elsewhere, so I thought I'd post.

I've attached a drawing of my basic setup.

I've never used a pump or RIMS tube before, so I wanted to check on a few things.

1) To "prime" the pump, do I simply open the valve on the MLT to let the wort flow into the pump, and leave the valve on the pump outlet closed? Or should the outlet valve be open for this?

Look up a "Burp valve" you really want to get the air out of the head of the pump. But yes I would open the valve to the MLT and the outlet pump valve.
2) I've seen RIMS tubes placed both horizontally and vertically in various setups. Are there advantages to either way, or is it mostly due to how it fits your particular setup?

I have mine set up horizontally for aesthetics only.
3) I'll be using a Chugger pump. The FAQ for the pump says to not run it dry. Does this mean I have to leave some wort in the hoses when I turn off the pump? Or does that mean the pump has to have some liquid in the head before turning it on?

When you open your valve from the MLT let some water or wort flow into pump head and then turn it on.
Here is my procedure:

For my RIMS set up I will recirculate my mash water run through the rims tube until I get my desired strike temp and to ensure I wont lose a prime. After I mash in I let the grain settle for at least ten minutes. I then turn on my pump with the ball valve (On the outlet side of the pump) barely open. Once I can see things are flowing and I wont be getting a stuck mash I will then flick on my element switch set at the proper mash temp. Every 2-3 minutes after that I will open the ball valve a little at a time until I'm at proper flow rate. Once you tinker with your system you will know that "Sweet Spot". I never open my ball valve more than half way though. Also, some beers depeing on the grist will vary on how much I open my ball valve.

Coldies has some excellent operational tips.

Key points in your equipment and piping design-layout should be:

1) The pump should be mounted lower than your MLT so that gravity will tend to fill it and keep it primed.

2) Key points for piping runs; direct, short, mostly vertical piping runs will perform better with less air entrapment and easier pump priming.
Long, horizontal, indirect piping with dips and bends will tend to create liquid and air traps in the piping, and should be avoided.

3) As was mentioned, an air bleed valve can be added in high spots. A drain valve in low spots helps with draining captive wort or cleaning solutions.

4) Tiny leaks on the suction side piping between the pump and the MLT can really mess with proper operation. When the pump is running, air will be drawn into the smallest leaks and cause you to pull out your hair. Seal all pipe connections properly.

5) My personal preference is to mount the heater tube vertically. See hint 2 above.

Looking at your diagram, I would suggest you move the throttling valve from the discharge of the pump and put it on the discharge side of the heater.

It will serve the same purpose; to regulate flow through the system.

By moving it to the other side of the heater, you will help insure that the heater stays wet even if the valve is closed.

On my RIMS, I have the heater controls interlocked to the pump; that way the heater won't come on unless the pump is also running. This is to avoid burning up a dry heating element.

Back