Lagering finished - can I wait before kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
My lager has finished lagering (5 weeks) but my kegging system isn't ready yet. I want to ferment another batch in the fermentation chamber - can I remove the lager to room temp and wait a couple of weeks before kegging it ?

I know man, I've asked this same question twice, and only got a couple of luke-warm responses. But from what I've heard (not from personal experience to back it up though!), the answer is yes.

I'd say probably, but if it were me I'd want to a least get it off the secondary yeast sediment. Too long on yeast at too warm a temp can be risky for off-flavors (important for lagers) and foam stability (yeast can release proteolytic enzymes under certain conditions). Can you at least put it into kegs? You wouldn't really need CO2 yet... the change to a warmer temp will force CO2 out of solution, so you could vent it after a while to force any oxygen out.

If you have the kegs, go ahead and keg. That will free up the fermenter. And you can prime it.

If you don't have kegs yet, sitting at room temperature (unless it's summer in Phoenix) won't hurt it.

IMO no. Amongst other things, lagering causes haze particles to come out of solution (cold temps) and then settle to the bottom of the tank. The idea is to then rack off this while the beer is still cold to achieve clear beer.

If you allow it to warm up again, those particles will be reabsorbed into solution and you will end up with chill haze again when you chill it again.

Back