Strategies &/or Tips for Becoming a Better Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptualBrew

Reaction score
I was wanting to get some feedback from the homebrewing community on this subject. Question is;

Which strategy &/or tip would you give to a brewer wishing to become better at brewing? Based off of your personal experience and limited to one strategy/tip.

Mine would be:

Be honest with yourself and others about your beer and any flaws it may possess. I have found that by being my biggest critic that others give me more honest feedback on my beers, whether good or bad.

Hoping to hear some good feedback, thanks in advance & cheers.

Temp control start to finish. Hit your mash temps, Proper pitching temps, proper fermentation temps, proper storing temps.

Keep fermenting temp within range of the yeast being used. This is the optimal range where your best results will be had.

Keep it simple - learn how to brew really great simple beers before you tackle that jalapeño pepper barrel aged ode bruin beer.

Start with an APA

Make sure the wort & top off water are well aerated & mixed before taking hydrometer sample & pitching yeast. You'll get more accurate hydrometer readings that way. And your yeast will have the o2 they need for the reproductive phase right before visable fermentation starts.

Temperature control is what separates the home brewers from brewers. Also if you prefer to use liquid yeast, a starter is critical to providing healthy yeast and in sufficient quantities.

Don't take shortcuts if you can help it. Sometimes **** happens, but don't intentionally take a short cut just because you want your beer faster. Patience will be well rewarded.

Back