Oak Cubes for Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc8015

Reaction score
I am looking at an old ale recipe kit on morebeer.com and it says that the beer can be aged on Hungarian or French oak cubes to add a bit of flavor. I went to the section of their website that has the oak cubes and found a lot of options. Can someone tell me what the difference in flavor will be between Hungarian, French, and American oak cubes?

I am curious about this too. I'd like to put my barleywine on some oak. The BN podcast mentioned using 2 different types for a mix of oak flavors.

I believe that the American oak will be middle of the road as far as taste goes,with French on the low and and Hungarian the big hitter.

I believe that the American oak will be middle of the road as far as taste goes,with French on the low and and Hungarian the big hitter.

So you are saying that the three types of oak all offer the same flavor profile, just differing degrees of intensity. Is that right?

Back