Filter/clarify cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy77

Reaction score
I've made several batches of hard cider, using fresh-pressed pasturized cider, it's pretty opaque. The batch i made last fall used Cote des Blancs yeast, after primary and bottling, it had a very nice level of carbonation, but a slightly yeasty flavor, and slight turbidity. Recently we tried it again, after nearly a year of aging in the bottle, it is perfectly clear and perfect. Now, my question is, is there a better way to get a clearer product without all the time?
Also, has anyone used the Wyeast Cider 4766?

I haven't used that yeast but you could either start off with clear juice or crash cool and store the cider at 35-40 to help stuff drop out.

That, or you could just brew your ciders knowing you won't drink them for a year...

Thanks, i'm going to try pectic acid, and read about using isinglass to clarify, but i'm concerned about stripping out too much yeast, as i carbonate in the bottle, anyone ever use isinglass?

Never used isinglass, but I've used gelatin and shellfish finings on beer before. Didn't have any problems with bottle carbing.

I like the idea of crash cooling. My first cider is fermenting right now, and it's really cloudy...though that's to be expected while the yeast is still swirling around. I added pectic enzyme 12 hours prior to pitching, and that stuff cleared it up quite a bit in those 12 hrs.

unfortunately, i'm not able to crash cool, no fridge big enough in my small apartment. and did i say pectic acid? i meant enzyme :) i also think i might age it in my garage, it stays much cooler than my apartment, at least until spring arrives, and i had the bottled stuff in the closet.

Back