Other hobbies besides homebrew..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SDC10970.jpg

My hobbies besides homebrewing are marathon swimming (open water competitions 10K and longer), studying languages (I've never met a language I didn't want to learn), collecting first edition novels of certain Brit authors (E. Waugh; G. Greene; T. Sharpe; K. Amis).

Let's see I ride motorcycles and dirt bikes, collect/shoot guns and reload, Work on the house, play computer games (many world of Warcraft). Generally work in the garage and do whatever I can myself.

I ride motorcycles, do any home improvement projects I can myself, love to cook, play video games, and am a LEGO collector. Love those little blocks. Recently I've taken to converting pictures into LEGO murals in order to pass the time on deployment.. I've finished an Iron man that came in at 13878 pieces, and is approx. 4ft x 3.5ft And am working on another that is slightly smaller.

13878.jpg

1588.jpg

I'm stuck in the hobby hopper category.

The ones that stuck long term:

video gaming (PS4 mainly, some PC)
reading (fantasy, science, sci-fi)
my kids (1 and 3) so this one takes up a lot of time
cooking

The worst one that got away:
guitar (Need to return to this one)
biking (see guitar above)

besides brewing?

Reading, writing (fiction) and shaving.

Yes, shaving. As in vintage double edge razors. Used to own a bunch but narrowed it down to two. Along with that I built a large assortment of shaving creams, soaps, and razor blades. I'm set for several years. Even with all I spent, it's less than I would have spent in a year on the newest Gillette cartridges.

Oh! and this! I didn't know shaving counted as a hobby. I'm in.

I have to dig out the vintage double edge razor pop gave me when I needed to start shaving that grandpa gave him. Takes double edge, Wilkinson sword sort of blades with nerf bars under where the edge sticks out. Fancy scroll work on the handle. I write books, brew, cook bbq, & just got back into doing videos today with a re-download of Windows movie maker 2.6, which I seem to have lost in saving before re-install. Can't wait till Friday to get paid so I can get a huge pack of batteries for my powerhog...er...powershot. Gotta get a cell phone mem card & adapter so I can use some 2MP shots stuck in there. Thing shoots pretty decent video & sound for 2 megapixels. Now if I could walk normally, I'd get out fishin' & huntin' again...l

I have what I refer to as rotating hobbies. Currently I homebrew and fish (I run bass fishing tournaments),but other rotators are:
Bicycle riding
Camping
Woodworking
Writing
Reading
Painting
Veggie Gardening

There's no predicting when an interest will wane and another rotator will take its place.

Hobbies beside homebrewing-

Baseball cards.
Reading.
BBQ.
Whitetail deer hunting (archery & muzzle loader)
Scale model building (sci-fi, cars and planes being my preferred kits)
Art
Video games (Battle Pirates and Dino Hunter-Deadly Shores on Facebook)
Going in costume to a Renaissance Festival.
knife making (been awhile since I've done this, as I still need a proper workshop)
Podcasting (really wanting to get back into this one at some point. Used to do a program on Blogtalk Radio similar to the format of Coast To Coast AM. UFOs, conspiracies, government cover-ups, that sort of thing. Yeah, I know, I'm weird. :p)
SWMBO wants to start a garden next year (Perfect excuse for me to lay out a spot to grow my own hops! :rockin::D)
SWMBO also informs me she is thinking about learning how to keep a few beehives for pollination and collecting fresh honey. (I see mead and honey laced beers in my future, perhaps.)

Used to play the Bagpipes, drag racing, keeping saltwater fish and restore old military vehicles. Currently metalworking, woodworking, shooting/gunsmithing, Ham radio (Amatuer Extra licence), gardening, home canning, fishing and whatever else strikes my fancy at the time.

I make custom vinyl decals, play bass and ukulele and used to play a lot of paintball scenario 24 and 48 hr games.

Pyrotechnics... This is my baby at 33:55.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURU1iXZUWs&feature=youtu.be&t=2034[/ame]

Anyone else here ever build a potato cannon? I used to mess around with them until a flaming potato nearly caught my entire backyard on fire. Not cool......

Cooking of course. Building stuff of course. And working out 3-4 days a week so I can feel good about all my drinking and eating...

It's fun, frustrating, and scary. Just a heads up.

Oh I know, this isn't my first house. Sold my last one three years ago, so I've been renting since then. The ex and I had it built, so there wasn't much in repairs or upgrades to do to it. I'm looking forward to buying an older house, and the projects that will come with it.

Latest posts

Back