Malting Rice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rice is not a product that you need to malt, I dont even think you could malt it if you really wanted to. Maybe some sort of hippie style organic wild rice, but not the stuff you would use to brew. For brewing your just going to rely on the enzymes that are in your barley to convert the starches in the rice. You will have to do a "cereal" mash, and no, it doesnt involve any lucky charms! just google it on here and you'll find plenty about them.

Rice cannot be malted - how are you planning on using it?

Flaked rice added to the mash is the easiest way to utilize this adjunct.

I want to make an all-rice beer. Found out I can't have wheat, barley or rye.

Malted rice is called kome-koji and is used in making sake. It's not really "malted" but rather infected with the mold Aspergillus oryzae which turns starch to sugar. You can buy kome-koji and mix it with other rice to make more kome-koji, or you can buy koji-kin, which is just the mold itself.

Sake Brewing

Also, why can't you eat those grains? Do you need gluten free beer?

I want to make an all-rice beer. Found out I can't have wheat, barley or rye.

I say do a white corn beer and use rice in it there a lot on line how to malt corn white is lot less harst then yellow corn if you malt corn use about ib corn to ever gal water to gave your beer lil more fal when you dry your malt do a 30/40 half grain lite in corlor. other half lil darker .

I say do a white corn beer and use rice in it there a lot on line how to malt corn white is lot less harst then yellow corn if you malt corn use about ib corn to ever gal water to gave your beer lil more fal when you dry your malt do a 30/40 half grain lite in corlor. other half lil darker .

Wat-Meme-Old-Lady-01.jpg

Back