started hard cider 1 week ago,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I started hard cider 7 days ago, how much longer and how do you guys bottle, thisi was only 1 gallon. and airlock activuty is at every 40 seconds.

You try a sample yet?

I bottled my first cider after 7 days. Came out great. But I'm relatively new so my advice might not be worth much.

I used a mixture of home made apple cider and store bought cider, sugars of various types, and champagne yeast. I also made a batch around one gallon. I didn't pasteurize because it was consumed before it could become a problem but I had great carbonation, good flavor, good abv. I have a two gallon batch going now, slightly different recipe using a different wine yeast and different apple juice. The sample I took at 7 days was great. Pretty dry, which is how I like it. Ill probably bottle tomorrow (8 days) . Ill back sweeten most of it since i made it for the ladies. I have beer after All, so I drink that.

so did you bottle it like beer? I mean did you add priming sugar, and cap it in beer bottles? I said mine was a week, its actually been 2 weeks. I guess I could get the turkey baster out and take a gravity reading and a shot of it. Did yours hit 8% abv?
You try a sample yet?

I bottled my first cider after 7 days. Came out great. But I'm relatively new so my advice might not be worth much.

I used a mixture of home made apple cider and store bought cider, sugars of various types, and champagne yeast. I also made a batch around one gallon. I didn't pasteurize because it was consumed before it could become a problem but I had great carbonation, good flavor, good abv. I have a two gallon batch going now, slightly different recipe using a different wine yeast and different apple juice. The sample I took at 7 days was great. Pretty dry, which is how I like it. Ill probably bottle tomorrow (8 days) . Ill back sweeten most of it since i made it for the ladies. I have beer after All, so I drink that.

I keg mine after about 3 weeks primary. I use a few tsp of pectic enzyme, they are always crystal clear from the start. Just done 2 so far, used S-04 for both.

Ill have to check out the pectic next time im at the brew store. I looked at my calender. I thought it had been 2 weeks. I realise its only been 10 days. Took a grav. reading for the heck of it. it dropder from 160 to 158 only 2 marks. I guess it has a long way to go. I sampled the test cider and it was ok, but it seemed like it had a acidy kick to it. Is that normal?

Back