just the kind of teaching i needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
never having seen all grain done ive been reluctant to get into it considering i have no idea what to do just yet.

if anyone feels like i do maybe this will help
whoever this guy is ......it seems to be a good guide to going AG
YouTube - waterball's Channel

That's how I felt too and I just decided to dive right in. My first batch was 14# of grain in a 5 gallon kettle, just a tad too much. I didn't know how much would fit into a 5 gallon kettle so I went for it. Now about 10# will fit comfortably in a 5 gallon kettle. Start with a small batch, say something around 4.5%, and you will be fine. Get yourself a cooler converted with a SS hose braid and a ball valve for lautering. Search the site here and you will see many examples, I bet. Jump in and let us know how it turns out.

Hey, thanks for that link. It is well edited and covers a lot of details light enough for a new brewer, while not putting them to sleep. And guffy enough to enjoy.
Well done.

I watched this 8 video series a few times before my first all grain, and was able to cruise though it no problem when the time came:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIGrsGPVA_Y]YouTube - All Grain Home Brewing (1 of 8)[/ame]

I was amazed at how simple AG was. My brew day didn't increase by that much (because of the waiting, I could sanitize at different times), my beer improved (because I learned more about homebrewing). Eventually I determined that I was pissed that I didn't start sooner.

Back