Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msinning

Reaction score
Was wondering about yeast nutrient and if its worth putting in the beer. If I do add it, at what stage should I put it in?

If you are doing all grain, I have read that it should not be necessary. That being said, I always put some into the boil at about 15 minutes from flame out and I always use some when making a starter.

I take a 1/4 tsp and mix it with a small amount of warm water. I add it 15min before flame out.

I think the 1tsp/gallon is for wine and mead making. There is very little available nitrogen in a must. There is much more FAN (free available nitrogen) in wort. I've seen the units, and I forget how much nuetrient adds, but FAN in beer is measured in 100s/gallon and in must at like <5/gallon.

With that said, it is reported faster ferments with yeast nutrient added. Also it helps more if you did not make a starter, since the point of nutrient is to help the production of yeast cells. If you make a starter, there is less advantage as there is less need to grow more yeast.

In a 5 gallon batch, I'd probaby go 1 to 2 tsp of nuetrient and not more for typical gravity(<1.050). I've not heard of it harming, but of it not helping at greater levels and thus wasting money.

I've put it into a wine and mead without boiling it and no adverse effects, it doesn't need to be boiled, although boiling shouldn't hurt it, as some of it is 'yeast hulls' or dead yeast.

Back