First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coopd3ville

Reaction score
I just started my first brew yesterday and was wondering if anyone could shed some light onto what kind of beer I will get in the end?

Ingredients

3.52 Lbs can of John Bull Amber (LME hopped)
1.4 Lbs can of Alexander's Pale (LME)
1 Lb Munton's Light (DME)
1 Oz Cascade Hop Pellets
11 g Windsor Brewing Yeast

I boiled one gallon of water, added all the malt and the hop pellets and let it boil for 1 hour. I made my yeast starter and took the wort off the heat, I waited 5 minutes and gave the wort a quick ice bath. Then i combined the wort with 4 gallons of somewhat cold water and added the yeast as well. I put my airlock on. I checked it this morning and I sure was happy to see the airlock bubbling. I forgot to take a hydrometer reading when i made the wort, is that bad and should I open it up to take a reading or wait until it is done fermenting?
Any help or advice that anyone could lend on this would be greatly apreciated.

happy brewing!!!

Since it's already fermenting, don't worry about the sg now. Just let it sit for at least a week or two and then take the sg before you either bottle it or move it to secondary (depending on what you're planning next).

I hope you enjoy your first homebrew! :mug:

Back