Fementation freezer setting w/ STC 1000 controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
OK, I've got my 7.0 GE chest freezer up & running, controlled by an STC 1000 w/ a lamp on the hot side (much thanks to the great threads detailing wiring, builds etc.). All seems fine, wort is holding steady, I'd just like to know what setting I should leave the freezer itself on, in order to lessen compressor cycling & hopefully lengthen the lifespan of the freezer? Right now it's on about 2.5 (out of 7). I've searched through the threads, read most of them & can't seem to find the answer. Also, how should I set the parameters of the STC, specifically F2 & F3? Thanks.

I wouldn't think the freezer's thermostat setting would really matter much since the STC 1000 has taken it's place. I have mine set on the coldest setting I could assuming if it were too high, it might turn the compressor off before the STC 1000 cut power.

I wouldn't think the freezer's thermostat setting would really matter much since the STC 1000 has taken it's place. I have mine set on the coldest setting I could assuming if it were too high, it might turn the compressor off before the STC 1000 cut power.

Ok, I see what you mean-at the temps I'm fermenting, I'm not sure the freezer's thermostat would ever override the STC's. I'm curious if changing the freezer's thermostat settings affects any other parameters.

Just set it to its coldest setting. With an external controller, you want the internal thermostat contacts to ALWAYS be closed. This allows the external thermostat to have full control.

I use a fridge and it cycles when it needs to. It cycles a lot but I am in Vegas and its in the garage. In the winter I just use a red light bulb on the hot side.

Latest posts

Back