Braumeister Pump Replacement (more power!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alchemy

Reaction score
Recently started brewing on a 20 liter Braumeister and the pump started squealing on the first brew.

I took apart the pump and the impeller had rubbed up against the metal housing. You can see the gold mark on the impeller where it scraped:

IMG_3043.JPG

I called up the company i ordered from (Morebeer/Moreflavor) and they decided to send a whole new pump instead of just an impeller.

Here you can see both pumps, the old one above and the new one is the blue one on the bottom:

IMG_3044.JPG

over twice the wattage:

IMG_3045.JPG

The impeller on the new pump looks to have more of a twisted blade design to it:

IMG_3047.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

It also has a metal bottom to it and the magnet holding in the impeller is not nearly as strong so it spins easier.

Replacing the old pump was very easy

Remove pump piping/pump

IMG_3038.JPG

unplug power/control

IMG_3041.JPG

and tighten on and plug in the new one and you are done!

The old pump was quiet, this one is completely silent, so much so that i took a impromptu nap next to the machine while mashing my "dumb blonde ale" last night :drunk:

I am going to step up my grain bill slowly and see just how much this new pump can handle. I know the old one could only push water through about 12 lbs in the malt pipe.

brew on!

awesome. how long did it take for them to get you a new pump? did it come from germany or does morebeer have them in stock?

awesome. how long did it take for them to get you a new pump? did it come from germany or does morebeer have them in stock?

Only took a week and it came from morebeer so they must have them in stock :)

From what I can see the motor looks like it is Supposed to be run On European current at 50hz, in the US we use 60hz. I'm not sure how that will effect the motor. I think it might run faster than intended and possibly overheat. You might want to consult an electrician.

If i am not mistaken the pumps on the 50l run at 50hz as well. I did a brew on Saturday and did not notice any over heating.

The small frequency difference between our 60 Hz mains and the European 50 Hz mains will have little effect on the motor. That is with the exception of a 20% increase in pump speed. Motor companies do it all the time, 1800 RPM 60 Hz motors become 1500 RPM 50 Hz motors. Not a big deal.

Received my 20L Braumeister a few days ago, so I decided to take a look at the inside of the pump before I changed the cord or brewed with it. The impeller looks exactly like the one above (one of the brass fins has excessive wear from the factory). Should I be concerned at all about the operation of the pump or is it just a little more loud?

Received my 20L Braumeister a few days ago, so I decided to take a look at the inside of the pump before I changed the cord or brewed with it. The impeller looks exactly like the one above (one of the brass fins has excessive wear from the factory). Should I be concerned at all about the operation of the pump or is it just a little more loud?

Mine was just loud...it was a grinding/squeeling noise. Not sure what it would have done if i kept using it.

I would run it and see if it is loud and if it is give a call for a impeller replacement

Back