Energizer 'Containing' DAP vs. Pure DAP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguy898

Reaction score
I have a question about the two.

SNA's always call for DAP, all I have is a bottle of L.D Carlson Yeast energizer that says, "Contains DAP".
DAPEnergizer.jpg

Can you substitute this energizer containing DAP for pure DAP when following an SNA?

Jonas

What an overly complicated, singular piece, of informational beauty GinKing, my head almost exploded :D

Well then, one more to hit ya with. Can it be substituted with the Same Amounts, or must there be compensation?

Jonas

I'd follow the directions on the bottle. I use both an energizer and a nutrient. There is likely some overlap in using both, but I haven't really investigated their ingredients that closely. Typically what I have done in the past is take the total amount required and divided it into 3 staggered additions.

I'd follow the directions on the bottle. I use both an energizer and a nutrient. There is likely some overlap in using both, but I haven't really investigated their ingredients that closely. Typically what I have done in the past is take the total amount required and divided it into 3 staggered additions.

That is all good, too, but I'm going to be following Schramm's SNA (with a little mosh-up of Hightest's) and I just needed to know for SNA purposes, which doesn't require the use of just plain Nutrient. It's always Fermaid K or Surperfood.

Jonas

Just my opinion, but I'd use the same amounts or just a slight bit more. I believe it is mostly DAP.

I currently use Fermaid K, and DAP, but I made mead for a long time using "yeast nutrient" and "yeast energizer". I don't know when they started selling Fermaid K, but I didn't hear about them till 3-4 years ago. Most LHBS in my area still sell nutrient and energizer, but don't carry Fermaid K. Why? I don't know. Sorry if I'm overly verbose with this response.

I was wondering the same thing b/c my LHBS carries a product similar to what is in the OP except it is Brewcraft Yeast Energizer. I wasn't sure how I could use it...could it be subbed for the DAP only or subbed for the DAP and nutrient (Fermaid K)? It would be helpful to know what is in the 'yeast energizer' products.

I ended up using pure DAP and Fermaid K for my nutrient additions because I wanted to follow the directions in the sticky.

Can you substitute this energizer containing DAP for pure DAP when following an SNA?

You can, but such energizer product will add less nitrogen than DAP when using equivalent weights so it may provide a bit less than the recipe calls for. I'm not sure exactly what the YAN content of the LD Carlson product is, but many yeast energizers have about 1/2 the nitrogen content of pure DAP.

Medsen

Back