Papaya Pale Ale Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subtlephilo

Reaction score
So I've made my own recipe (with some help from my LHBS) for a Papaya Pale Ale. The recipe is:

7lbs Pale Malt Extract
1/2lb Crystal Malt
1/4lb Wheat
3/4oz Centennial Hops
Danstar Nottingham Yeast
Papayas

I'm planning on using the hops only for boil and racking onto the papaya in secondary. How much papaya should I use? I'm planning on 4lbs, but I have enough papaya for 7lbs. I'd like it to have a nice strong fruit taste, but I don't want to screw up the gravity or drown out the malt completely.

This sounds yummy--I love papaya. I can't speak to your central question, but I've seen lots of similar questions about racking onto fruit, so maybe a search would turn up something. Good luck!:mug:

Subtlephilo... I am working on doing a raspberry wheat with fresh fruit in the next few days and had a lot of questions. I posted and got a lot of good advice from the guys and gals on this site about fruit beers.

Here is a really good link about using fresh fruit in seconday from byo.com. Very informative. http://***********/stories/recipes/article/indices/38-ingredients/683-fruit-brew-part-2-techniques

Also, here is a link to a episode from the Jamil show and they talk only about fruit beers. Also very informative. http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Fruit-Beers-The-Jamil-Show-04-24-06

A lot of your questions should be answered from these two links.

Wow, I might actually need to add another whole papaya, considering that it's definitely light in taste. I was actually thinking about adding a whole coconut (milk and shavings) to make a sort of tropical effect, but that should probably be saved for a later beer :mug:

Back