Massive newb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestyal

Reaction score
Okay, i wasn't sure and i asked my sister and she didn't know. With wine, do i ferment in fermenter then put in the carboy? Or does it strait to the carboy? Does it depend on the wine? thanks for the help, like i said, massive newb.:cross:

When you say fermenter do you mean a plastic bucket? I personally don't ever use plastic buckets and only use glass carboys. I would stay away from plastic if you can. It does increase chances of contamination.

It's kind of difficult cramming a straining bag full of fruit into a glass carboy. Almost everyone I know who makes home made wine uses plastic pails for their primary and then racks to a glass carboy for secondary fermentation. Proper sanitation procedures eliminate contamination problems.

If I am making a wine or cider from juice, I use a glass jug or carboy for the entire fermentation process. If I am using fruit chuncks or anything that needs to go in a bag, I use a plastic bucket for the primary, and then glass for the secondary when I remove the bag.

FWIW, when using a "plastic bucket", I think it goes without saying that we are all referring to a "clean, food-grade plastic primary fermenter that has not been used to store paint or kitty litter". It should have a rubber gasket seal around the top and a pre-cut hole with a rubber O-ring seal where an airlock can be inserted.

Some "traditionalists" will use a bucket, or some tires that have been cut apart with a sawzall and cover it with an old blanket. I am not a traditionalist. $25.00 for a primary fermenter that is built for winemaking that is new and clean will serve for many years. Get one, or at least borrow one from a friend (if you are just starting out).

When you need to ferment "real fruit"[1] (and not just juice), you need a primary fermenter for the reason stated above in another post -- it is hard to get a nylon bag (or cut off stocking) filled with fruit through a carboy spout. After a couple of weeks, you can take the wine off the fruit and siphon it into the carboy for clearing/aging/etc.

I am still a newbie -- don't be afraid to ask for help. It's better to ask and get drinkable wine than to be disappointed after several months of patient waiting.

MM

[1] "Real Fruit": Fruit that is in-season, ripe, local, and which actually smells of fruit. Not to be confused with peaches from Chile which I find in my local grocery in February. These are easily confused with orange cannonballs, and they make wine just as flavorful as that might imply.

Back