Whirlpool Hop Stand vs Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
I've been experimenting w/ the Hop Stand technique & really like the results thus far. First off, what is the optimal hold temp/time for that huge chewy hop flavor? Is it possible to Hop Stand & forgo dry hopping entirely? Any input on commercial/personal experience is welcomed:)

I like 90/100 through 140/150 F -ish for the hop stand. But you have to keep an appropriate amount of whirlpool pellet hops at those temps for at least 20-30 minutes. An hour won't hurt. I like to rapidly cool the wort to the upper end of that temp range, and then slow-cool it all the way down to 65 F-ish with the whirlpool hops.

I prefer doing both hop stand and dryhop for my IPAs. I think you get a different character from the warm steep as opposed to the cold dryhop. The dryhop dominates the IPAs character, but the whirlpool provides added hop complexity. I see it as a layered process to build the perfect hop profile.

Back