Cascade Dry-Hop - How Much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escalante88

Reaction score
Oi,

Just took a final gravity reading on my SNPA clone - approximately 5.3 - 5.4% ABV, tastes pretty damn close. But the nose and the taste are lacking that citrus Cascade bite - so I am down in the basement now drinking Smuttynose, listening to the Killers, and planning on dry hopping the @#$@@%##%*$. BeerSmith has me at 37 IBU, but it barely tastes it. It's been 2 weeks since I racked it to the secondary, after 2 weeks in primary. Sufficed to say, I've lost significant hop character. So that brings me to the question:

Is 1 oz of 7.5 AA Cascades proportionate to dryhop a 5.5 gallon batch, or should I dial it down to .5 oz?

I've never dry-hopped before so any heads up is appreciated.

I made my SNPA clone at 1.056, 47 IBUs and dry hopped with 1.5oz of cascade.

You definately want to use 1oz. cascade for the dry hop if not a little more.

1 oz. would suffice. Have at it. Bottle/package in about 3-4 days to get the hop character you seek. That's what I do when I dry hop and it has worked out very well over the years.

I just kegged a Southern Tier - Pale Ale clone which I used Amarillo and Cascade as bittering hops (2 ounces Amarillo and .75 ounce Cascade over the 75 minute boil time). I then kegged after primary fermentation was complete and dry hopped with 1 ounce Cascade. I can only hope it has the same citrus flavor and aroma that Southern Tier had. I will know soon.

1 - 1 1/2 ounce Cascade is good dry hop amount.

Salute! :mug:

I understand why you're doing it, but for the record, SN doesn't dry hop their PA. Just sayin'

I understand why you're doing it, but for the record, SN doesn't dry hop their PA. Just sayin'

Also, dry hopping doesnt actually add any IBU, just flavor. Not sure where you got the recipe from, I've done Biermuncher's Clone 3 times and its fantastic. Done it one without the DH, and twice with. Its delicious either way. I like it better DH. Throw that oz in there and let it sit 6-7 days. Enjoy!
:tank:

It's hard to tell about finished hop character until you are aged, carbed and at temperature. I'd stick with an ounce and if you are kegging you could always drop more in. I've found the AA number to be meaningless as others have mentioned in dry hopping but hops from different sources and different years have varying effects on my beers in the same quantities.

My SNPA clone tasted ok dry hopped, I had 5 gallons of the batch with dry hops and the other 5 gallons without. I much preferred the cleaner taste without the dry hop.

I dropped 1 oz of Cascades in last night thanks to everyone's suggestions. My recipe is pretty similar to BierMuncher's with a few exceptions - I wish had thrown in 1 lb carapils for example. Also, he doesn't use Magnum for bittering. We are both at 37 IBUs.

I know that SNPA isn't dry-hopped, but I think this batch definitely needs it. Most likely, I'll bottle a week from now. Next time, I'll increase the IBUs up to 47 like Gregscsu. It will be interesting to see how the profile changes after the dry-hopping and bottling. Never had a Southern Tier - gonna have to check it out.

Latest posts

Back