second runnings beer from a no-sparge 1.1ish RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chass3

Reaction score
So I'm looking to make an RIS with an OG of around 1.1, and I'm also thinking about doing a no-sparge mash since I have 70qt cooler that I use as a MLT and so I can easily mash 30lb of grain in nearly 13 gallons of water, and no-sparge supposedly yields a very high-quality wort.

But obviously I'll have a ton of leftover sugars if I don't sparge, and so I'd like to make a light porter or something out of the second runnings. Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing, and could give some tips or advice on doing something like this?

my grain bill is stolen from the Jamil Show podcast on the RIS, and would look something like this- I'm assuming a very low 52% efficiency and a 120 min boil for this beer:

24lbs maris otter
2lbs roasted barley
1.25lbs chocolate wheat
1.25lbs special B
.75lbs caramunich

mash at 154 for 60 mins with the full compliment of water you'll need for a 120 min boil - in my case, 12.5 gallons

2oz galena @ 90 mins
2oz EK Goldings @ 10 min
2oz EK Goldings @ 1min

Probably pitch directly on a nottingham, S-04, or maybe Irish Ale yeast cake from a low-OG bitter or blonde of some sort, or just 2 sachets of one of those yeasts.

What might I expect to get as a second beer? I've looked at this table but it's not much help to me, it seems.

1.7 qt/lb could get you around 1.070 for the first runnings with good conversion. That leaves about 14.5 quarts of 1.070 left in the grain. With a single sparge you should be able to get five gallons of 1.050. You could cap the sparge with some black malt and call it a porter.

That's based off conversion efficiency.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Efficiency#Conversion_efficiency

When you know you first running's gravity the gravity of the second running is easy to calculate.

Search Partigyle. That is what you are doing. They (interwebz trolls) have calculators out there to help you out. Common practice in old old old old days. That's where Russian Imperial Stout came from as well. First runnings were used for the Russian Imperials (royalty) the rest for a commoner's beer.

Well, I got about a 1.096 imperial stout and a 1.055 porter out of that grain bed. I had to boil the porter for 174 minutes to get the volume and gravity I wanted but that's alright. The porter is hopped first wort and late with styrian goldings, and enough Galena as a bittering addition to balance out to about a .9 og/ibu ratio.

The problem was that I ****ed up my infusion temp and mashed really, really high and so got poor attenuation in both beers. I pitched Brett C in the imperial stout after it had stalled at like 1.040 for a week or more, so I'm going to let that go and get some nice mild funkiness off those last points. I also added about 3oz of bourbon-soaked oak cubes. I'm a little worried about bottling this beer and getting gushers/bombs but we'll see.

For the porter, which had stalled at 1.030, I added some amylase enzyme to the fermenter which got it down to 1.013 where it's remained, so I'm bottling this weekend! I think I'm going to add some of the oaky bourbon I have lying around from soaking oak cubes in to give a little of that flavor to it. It's more like an export stout than a robust porter, though, so I'm thinking of calling it 174 Export in honor of the massive boil time.

Well, I got about a 1.096 imperial stout and a 1.055 porter out of that grain bed. I had to boil the porter for 174 minutes to get the volume and gravity I wanted but that's alright. The porter is hopped first wort and late with styrian goldings, and enough Galena as a bittering addition to balance out to about a .9 og/ibu ratio.

The problem was that I ****ed up my infusion temp and mashed really, really high and so got poor attenuation in both beers. I pitched Brett C in the imperial stout after it had stalled at like 1.040 for a week or more, so I'm going to let that go and get some nice mild funkiness off those last points. I also added about 3oz of bourbon-soaked oak cubes. I'm a little worried about bottling this beer and getting gushers/bombs but we'll see.

For the porter, which had stalled at 1.030, I added some amylase enzyme to the fermenter which got it down to 1.013 where it's remained, so I'm bottling this weekend! I think I'm going to add some of the oaky bourbon I have lying around from soaking oak cubes in to give a little of that flavor to it. It's more like an export stout than a robust porter, though, so I'm thinking of calling it 174 Export in honor of the massive boil time.

o_O thats a long boil

Latest posts

Back