Delayed starter pitch and airation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_trout

Reaction score
I screwed up my timeline a bit and need to pitch on delay tonite. That is, I brewed Saturday and have my wort under airlock but have not pitched yet. I have my 2 step starter cold crashing now and intend to decant and pitch this evening.

My question is should I aerate my wort before pitching or is my yeast sufficiently underway and ready to get the job done?

the_trout said:
I screwed up my timeline a bit and need to pitch on delay tonite. That is, I brewed Saturday and have my wort under airlock but have not pitched yet. I have my 2 step starter cold crashing now and intend to decant and pitch this evening.

My question is should I aerate my wort before pitching or is my yeast sufficiently underway and ready to get the job done?

IMO it's always good to do some kind of aeration be it shaking/rolling the carboy or pure O2 with a diffusion stone. Your 2 step starter has a great head start but they still would love some O2 while they multiply for the batch.

You will need to aerate. All the starter has done is get you to the right pitching amount. Once you pitch, the yeast will need oxygen to reproduce to get to the right level to ferment the beer. It is during this reproduction phase that the yeast are starting to produce esters that help give the beer part of it's character.

Back