Is it okay to top up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABeerZale

Reaction score
All grain wort?

About to do first all grain batch but I have limited boiling capacity, ie a 10litre pot. Up to now we have done extract brews, using the typical Liquid Malt extract and then mixing with water to bring it up to between 20-23 litres and leave to ferment.

As we want to step up to all grain brewing can I follow the same procedure? Somewhere down the line we'll get a proper boiler but for now this is where we are at.

Any advice and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Been reading a lot around the forum, learnt a lot, but this is my first proper post. Look forward to your comments.

Yes that is okay to do. Be sure to know what your gravity is before topping off with water so you get the right OG. You'll want a higher gravity wort since you will be diluting it.

When hopping with less wort just like extract it will change the IBUS slighty. I'd suggest a program like beersmith or brewer's friend they can be very helpful.

Lastly, bigger pots are awesome so search for money in old coat pockets and couches! :)

Back