Bourbon aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevmoron

Reaction score
I'm planning a Quadrupel and I want to do the secondary with some Bourbon-soaked oak chips. Unfortunately I'm not too knowledgeable about Bourbon, so I need recommendations. Can anyone recommend a good Bourbon for this? I'm looking for something tasty but not unreasonably expensive. Nothing cheap. I'd like something that would mesh well with perhaps a Rochefort 10 clone.

I'm a big fan of bourbon as well as beer. I have several different kinds in the house at any given time.

In my opinion, it's not worth buying any particularly special bourbon to use in flavoring your beer. Most subtleties that the bourbon possesses will be lost in the beer. With that in mind, I'd use a quality mass produced bourbon such as Jim Beam or Maker's Mark. Just don't use Jack Daniel's, because it's not bourbon (dammit). :)

Brian

Try Old Grandad's..... nice and smokey! $7.99 a bottle, but don't let the price scare you off.

Eastside

My LHBS guy mentioned that he heard of someone using the Jack Daniels charcoal from Wal-Mart to impart oak, bourbon, and a bit of smoke... I don't have first-hand knowledge, but it sounds interesting...

My LHBS guy mentioned that he heard of someone using the Jack Daniels charcoal from Wal-Mart to impart oak, bourbon, and a bit of smoke... I don't have first-hand knowledge, but it sounds interesting...

I don't mean to sound like a jerk,:) but it probably wasn't charcoal, more likely it was the wood chips that they say is made from old JD barrels. Comes in a small bag. I would soak some of the chips in your bourbon and then put them in the secondary just before you rack the beer. Maybe use a hop bag to make clean up easier.

Back