Suggestions on my First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pi Kapp Beer Guy

Reaction score
Ok so i did a lot of research on the topic of beer brewing and quite frankly i spent more time researching it than i have my five years of college combined. Anyway i have bottled my first batch and after a week and a half time i am currently drinking it. Now to my friends i am damn near god like for creating a drinkable beer. However it is not to my expectations. It lacks.....whats that word? Taste. I have a beautiful golden beverage with little carbonation and truthfully it taste like water downed beer and not even as good as a crappy corona. SO here it is i tried to make an an American pale ale. My first mistake is i commited a cardnal brewing sin an did not check the OG. With that being said why check the FG. I was rushed by friends but i opened three slammed them and can tell there is alcohol present. All i used was extracts so maybe that explains the lack of taste. Its like the initial taste is good followed by a watery after taste. Any suggestions? My initial gaol was to create a drinkable beer to experiment with so where should i go from here?

Don't drink any more. A week and a half is not enough time. The general rule for carbonation is three weeks at 70+ degrees. Let it sit for a while. Trust me, it's worth the wait.

At LEAST 3 WEEKS to carbonate and have drinkable beer. Every brew will get better from here- wouldn't you like to go back and show your first special lady friend what you have learned over the years? Brewing is the same way.

I just learned this the hard way. My beer after a week and half was not very good at all. It did not have the taste I expected. I am a few days away from 3 weeks and I had one tonight.... what a world of difference. It has a nice, strong, bold flavor and a nice hoppy aftertaste. Classic red ale style. I'm loving it now, and I'm sure it will only get better with more time.

I did the same with my first beer and tried a bottle a week after. Low carbonation, weak and watery flavor with no body. 2 weeks later the beer was one of the tastiest brown ales I had ever enjoyed. As hard as it is, patience goes a looooooong way in this hobby. Give it a bit more time and I'm sure you'll be loving it.

It lacks because you openned them after a week and a half!!!!! They're green and not fully carbed....You must have missed the part about bottle conditioning in your "research."

read this and watch the video...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=558191&postcount=101

It has nothing to do with using extracts...or anything else. Just impatience.

Back