Cheap compact wort pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what you're trying to do.
If its transferring, pushing a plate chiller, recirculating, the $20 pumps seem to be enough. If its for whirlpooling, it seems to lack the volume.

$20 pumps, beige - coated magnet ; black - exposed magnet

What about using it with a CIP ball?

I got the beige one from e-bay and used it for the first time yesterday. I have a 1/4" CFC and it would take forever to chill with gravity. It would take to the order of 30-45 mins. With the Pump now it does it somewhere in the neighborhood of 15min. Saves me quite a bit of time but it does not seem to generate a high head pressure. But for $20 I'm happy!

I got the beige one from e-bay and used it for the first time yesterday. I have a 1/4" CFC and it would take forever to chill with gravity. It would take to the order of 30-45 mins. With the Pump now it does it somewhere in the neighborhood of 15min. Saves me quite a bit of time but it does not seem to generate a high head pressure. But for $20 I'm happy!

why did chuggers go from 100 to 150 usd in the span of one month? I wonder if I put two of these small pumps together how would it work? I am looking at a cfc with a prechiller, but actually I only need to pump the wort, so only though 25 ft of the CFC, and then back up to the boil kettle. I am seriously thinking about this option.

johns said:
why did chuggers go from 100 to 150 usd in the span of one month? I wonder if I put two of these small pumps together how would it work? I am looking at a cfc with a prechiller, but actually I only need to pump the wort, so only though 25 ft of the CFC, and then back up to the boil kettle. I am seriously thinking about this option.

The $100 ones are plastic head, the $150 are stainless. The plastic ones are roughly $85 shipped this month.

I cnt seem to find any of the plastic ones anywhere. I also dont think the plastic ones are so inferior to the SS.

Just want to push wort maybe 30 feet or so, 25 feet through a 3/8 CFC and 5 feet or so to recirculate

I get an error message

" error selecting data 2
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1".

They must be out or it no longer applies. Tried calling tthe number there and no responce. oh well back to these little pumps.

Thanks for trying though Snaps:mug:

Interesting. I go right to the page.

Back to the little black pumps. I messages the eBay seller I got mine from and they said they're going to replace it. Even though I broke it through my stupidity. +1 for the uncontested magnet.

I get an error message

" error selecting data 2
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1".

They must be out or it no longer applies. Tried calling tthe number there and no responce. oh well back to these little pumps.

Thanks for trying though Snaps:mug:

I get the same.

I've tried three different computers. Three different browsers. Three different days. Nothing works. I'd love to buy a Chugger pump, but it's too hard.

Off to another company.

I get the same.

I've tried three different computers. Three different browsers. Three different days. Nothing works. I'd love to buy a Chugger pump, but it's too hard.

Off to another company.

Did you try emailing them? I had a question about being able to pickup a pump from there shop since I am local. He replied back to me in less then a day. They are also closed on weekends so if you want to call them you would have to do it between 8 - 5 est during the week.

I just bought a polysulfone pump from Chugger about two weeks ago and it was a perfect transaction. The site works fine and the pump was shipped to me very quickly. I would definitely buy again from Chugger!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-Power...712?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccf8d6058

Here is another version that looks similar to the $20 black pump but may have NPT threads. I asked this question

Dear youngnicelady,

Are the Pipe Threads NPT or BSP

Got this reply:
Thanks for your message.
It is NPT standard.
Regards.

- youngnicelady

This one appears to be promising. Says two have been sold. Any one of those by us?

EDIT:

I just bought one. I'll report back.

I also updated the spreadsheet to reflect this pump

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjmW-1xToFATdHFxU1RiXzdZYjNfMFhrOXZObWtHcUE&usp=sharing

OK, got my pump today and I am using the dimmer in post #132. When I hook everything up the dimmer does not do anything, the pump runs at full speed. If I change the connections the pump does not work.
Anyone use the dimmer from post 132? What am I missing?
Thanks very much.

That's the set up I have. It's easy to get the wires back to front. What voltage do you have going in, have you measured it? I got variable flow rate at 10 cm head using about 10 VDC on my SP20/20 solar pump.

You should be able to tell how fast it is pumping from the pitch of the whine that the motor makes. It's a rather discouraging noise. It certainly operates more quietly without using the dimmer.

The issue with the whine is that this LED dimmer works around 1kHz which is fast enough so that you can't see flicker on LEDs, but slow enough that you can hear motor whine in the audio range. Proper motor speed controllers use PWM at > 20kHz so the whine is too high pitched to hear.

That's the set up I have. It's easy to get the wires back to front. What voltage do you have going in, have you measured it? I got variable flow rate at 10 cm head using about 10 VDC on my SP20/20 solar pump.

You should be able to tell how fast it is pumping from the pitch of the whine that the motor makes. It's a rather discouraging noise. It certainly operates more quietly without using the dimmer.

The issue with the whine is that this LED dimmer works around 1kHz which is fast enough so that you can't see flicker on LEDs, but slow enough that you can hear motor whine in the audio range. Proper motor speed controllers use PWM at > 20kHz so the whine is too high pitched to hear.

Took the dimmer to work and one our electricians opened it up. Determined the pot was good but the board was not. Not worth trying to get a refund. Just ordered a PWM like the one I use on my stir plate. My coworker said that is a much better solution anyway.
THANKS

I sent a message to Niceyounglady asking if she would sell outside of ebay for the original price. I will update everyone with what she says!

I got a very broken english reply from the ebay seller myself, saying something was wrong with the shipping cost on the listing and she was going to get her "colleague" to fix it. Still think they realized demand was higher than expected for these, so they jacked up the price.

So far I've only used it to transfer fluids rather than recirculate but I have no complaints. It runs quietly and pumps at a reasonable rate. The customer rep has been responsive to emails.

I wanted the more powerful version for the fastest possible recirculation but if I was getting a second one just to transfer liquids I'd get the cheap beige one off ebay. I'm not 100% they are the same pump but for $22 I would take the chance. I suspect these pumps do need replacing eventually so I am somewhat sensitive to price.

From YoungNiceLady on Ebay:

Thanks for your message.
I am happy to hear that you like the item, but sorry that we found the last several items defective, I am afraid as a reliable seller, we could only send the product in 100\% well-tested and perfect working condition, so we raise the price to control sales, I think i am telling you truth, so i hope you can understand me, thanks a lot.
If you really want, could you help to wait for the price return to normal, thanks a lot,
Or if you need it urgently, could you help to order it from other sellers, please kindly understand that.
Any questions will be welcomed to touch me any time.
I will try my best to help you.
Have a nice day.
Best wishes.

I just ordered this one off eBay from hk. http://bit.ly/12TugAR

Specs claim food grade and 105*c

Brand new and high quality.
This is brand new water pump P-38E, food-grade, high quality and reliable.
Suitable for: Aquarium, solar-panel circulate system, fountain, electronic refrigerator, water heater etc.
Rated voltage: 12V DC.
Rated current: 0.8A.
Food-grade: Yes .
Capacity: 6.5L/Min (109 GPH).
Pump head: 2M.
Noise: <=60dBA/10cm.
Working temperature: -35C ~ +105C.
Service life: 26000 hours up.
Motor: DC brushless motor.
Pump: Centrifugal pump.
Size:9.2cm x 4.5cm x 6.3cm - 3.62inch x 1.77inch x 2.48inch.
Package Included:

1 x Centrifugal Water Pump
NO Retail Box. Packed Safely in Bubble Bag.

I just got one of these, powered with a drill

109083.jpg

I just got one of these, powered with a drill

more info, where did you find this, what is the head like, and the flow rate. Do you have any other picture please? What is the rated rpm or just goes as fast and the drill can spin? Any negitives?

i found it here ( holland)

http://www.brouwmarkt.nl/pomp-voor-boormachine-p-383.html

I think it wil go just as fast as the drill, i use,d it ones and span the drill easy. 50 liters in something like 6 minutes ( i think it can go much faster) easy to clean to. Just pomp water and starsan when you are done, and hang it out to dry. bought it for 69,00 euro. No downside found so far

this weekeind i am brewing again and i will make some pictures

Back