Sweetening Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwibrewer

Reaction score
Been doing some cheeper extract brews for an up coming party and one of my ales has come out a bit dryer than desired (I was being cocky and brewed it out to long to get a higher potential alc% 6.2 :drunk:) I'm going to keg soonish and was wondering if anyone had just tried plain old cane suger as a cheap sweetener, I'd disolve and add to the keg before racking off secondary.

I haven't tried that, but you could always mix that beer with another (ala Black and Tan) if you don't like the way it tastes alone.

if you don't kill of the yeast all they will do is eat the sugar and raise your alcohol content it wont sweeten the beer . You need to add non fermentables to the beer.

Or kill the yeast with a bisulfate (sodium metabisulfate or potassium metabisulfate), AKA Campden Tablets, then sweeten.

If you want sweeter then I'd add lactose, but tell people that it is sweetened with milk sugar, or you might have someone allergic try it. You can also do as mentioned and kill off the yeast before sweetening with sugar. I tend to go with lactose when I make a sweet stout.

Ok I'll give these ideas a go, has anyone tried artificial sweeteners or are they a bit un kosher for brewing. I mean they would be a last resort as I hate the taste of them.

I used Splenda in a raspberry brew for the SWMBO. She's pretty happy with it, but a buddy had some awhile back and commented that it tasted like it was sweetened with an artificial sweetener.

Lactose is an interesting suggestion for something other than a stout or porter... the milky mouthfeel is quite out of style for many brews, and it's pretty noticable if you hit the ratio wrong. A friend of mine tried to sweeten a cider using lactose, and it tasted like a$$. So be careful!

Lactose is an interesting suggestion for something other than a stout or porter... the milky mouthfeel is quite out of style for many brews, and it's pretty noticable if you hit the ratio wrong. A friend of mine tried to sweeten a cider using lactose, and it tasted like a$$. So be careful!

Interesting, I've never had that issue. I don't often mess with a beer after it is done though, I prefer to just drink what I have and change the recipe for next time.

Back