why does my beer taste like butt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koerd85

Reaction score
i had ny first try at brewing beer and made an amerucan pale ale. i fermented it for seven days with initial gravity ready of 1.034. i then put it into a carboy and carbonated it for 3 days and placed it into bottles however the beer is very cloud and is really bitter, so im not sure if its bad or not. i had chilled one beer from the batch to get a sample of the taste. the beer was lackibg carbonation so i shook it up in the bottle and when i opened the bottle the head stayed there as if it was alive, i dunno but it defenatly was not as taste as my sam adams loger. it tasted more like **** to me.

Hmm. i feel drunk even trying to read this but. you did secondary 3 days then bottled?correct? It wont taste great until it carbs up and conditons for about 3 weeks. Shaking the bottle is a bad idea.It has yeast that settles and you want to leave that it and pour to a glass.there is nothing you can do about yeast being on the bottem unless you keg.Its called bottle conditioning and the yeast do its job and settle on the bottem.

jonmohno said:
Hmm. i feel drunk even trying to read this but. you did primary 3 days then bottled?correct?

yes i did, not sure how to tell if its contaminated or just not done fermentung yet

koerd85 said:
yes i did, not sure how to tell if its contaminated or just not done fermentung yet

ohh, well that makes sense then, thank you, hopefully your right

did you use a recipe or a kit or something? 1.034 seems low for an original gravity on an american pale ale. but that's fine.

you need to ferment your beers longer than 3 days. usually, 10 days is a minimum for low gravity beers before you even think about bottling.

it's not at all surprising that it tastes like **** right now. it didn't have a routine fermentation, it hasn't been bottled for more than a few days, you force chilled it and you shook it up for some reason? that won't carbonate it more, the yeast have to consume sugar to make co2 and carbonate the beer, so, as mentioned previously, you'll need at least 3 weeks at room temp with the beer before you will want to evaluate the taste again.

android said:
did you use a recipe or a kit or something? 1.034 seems low for an original gravity on an american pale ale. but that's fine.

you need to ferment your beers longer than 3 days. usually, 10 days is a minimum for low gravity beers before you even think about bottling.

it's not at all surprising that it tastes like **** right now. it didn't have a routine fermentation, it hasn't been bottled for more than a few days, you force chilled it and you shook it up for some reason? that won't carbonate it more, the yeast have to consume sugar to make co2 and carbonate the beer, so, as mentioned previously, you'll need at least 3 weeks at room temp with the beer before you will want to evaluate the taste again.

yes i shook it up and as a result co2 came out of the beer and into the bottle head. but anyways i think the gravity was low because i did not steep the malt grain that came with the kit for more than 10 minutes so im guessing that was it. however i was just hoping its not contaminated lol thanks for your concern

Reading this on the crapper and if that's how it tastes, God bless you. The thread title is awesome and there are at least 3 chuckles in the post. If said recipe said to steep for 30 minutes, why not just follow instructions? 1.03~ Seems like it's gonna end up 2.5%. This is like asking why my dinner tastes like butt if I forgot to finish cooking the meat. Oh I get it, it's a joke. Got me. I hope.

2 months start to finish and you will be in love with your beer.It will love you too.

seriously though ,was this a kit? what was the og suppose to be? If we know more we can evaluate more but for now time is what your looking at.
brew some more,you will make good beer.

Something funnier is Flavor flav started a chicken franchise in my clueless hometown here. Tallk about WtF? Yeah and it use to be a Long John Silvers resteraunt.

A couple questions...
Where did you get this kit from? It would be interesting to read the ingredients and procedure. Quality of your kit makes ALL the difference. A crappy kit will make your beer taste like "butt." The recipe they use can be poor quality, also the ingredients could be old and stale.

The fact that your OG is only 1.034 means you either got a really crappy kit or you missed a step. Steeping grains doesn't usually add much gravity, which comes from malt extract (dry or liquid.) Ten minutes of steeping time is probably not enough to get maximum flavor. Color change happens quickly but it needs more time for flavor/sugar development. This is a general assumption but if your kit told you to add SUGAR then it's a crappy kit. It's a cheap way to add alcohol but doesn't add flavor.

Also you HAVE to let your beer age longer. Most all of us here will guarantee that you will not get good beer after only 10 days. I would suggest that you keep the beer in the fermentor for NO LESS THAN 2 WEEKS. Do not bother moving it to a secondary vessel, it is a waste of time. Also, you do not carbonate your beer in the carboy. You have to mix the correct amount of priming sugar into your beer, and then immediately bottle that beer.

I don't want to sound rude but it sounds like you have made a few too many mistakes, so I would suggest doing more research. Your best time spent would be reading http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html Don't give up hope, just try to think through your steps more and realize that trying to cut corners will never give you good results. Kit instructions may tell you that your beer is ready after 1 week but it's NOT. Also I would suggest buying a quality kit from a place such as Northern Brewer.

Its kind of hard to mess up beer, dont really criticize it until a few months.

This thread reminds me of the people I see walking on a sidewalk and talking out loud arguing with themselves. I always wonder who won the argument.....

beerloaf

IceFisherChris said:
A couple questions...
Where did you get this kit from? It would be interesting to read the ingredients and procedure. Quality of your kit makes ALL the difference. A crappy kit will make your beer taste like "butt." The recipe they use can be poor quality, also the ingredients could be old and stale.

The fact that your OG is only 1.034 means you either got a really crappy kit or you missed a step. Steeping grains doesn't usually add much gravity, which comes from malt extract (dry or liquid.) Ten minutes of steeping time is probably not enough to get maximum flavor. Color change happens quickly but it needs more time for flavor/sugar development. This is a general assumption but if your kit told you to add SUGAR then it's a crappy kit. It's a cheap way to add alcohol but doesn't add flavor.

Also you HAVE to let your beer age longer. Most all of us here will guarantee that you will not get good beer after only 10 days. I would suggest that you keep the beer in the fermentor for NO LESS THAN 2 WEEKS. Do not bother moving it to a secondary vessel, it is a waste of time. Also, you do not carbonate your beer in the carboy. You have to mix the correct amount of priming sugar into your beer, and then immediately bottle that beer.

I don't want to sound rude but it sounds like you have made a few too many mistakes, so I would suggest doing more research. Your best time spent would be reading http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html Don't give up hope, just try to think through your steps more and realize that trying to cut corners will never give you good results. Kit instructions may tell you that your beer is ready after 1 week but it's NOT. Also I would suggest buying a quality kit from a place such as Northern Brewer.

There are so many conflicting and contradictory infirmation on how to brew beer. When you first start out i was not sure to follow the uniformed instructions from my cheaply made dirextions from "arbor" beer kit here on long island, or to follow
craigtube's simple instructions. But i followed the instructions from the kit.

The beer kit came with brewers best ingredients. so i used what was in there and no added sugar. im still not sure about th low reading, if its not the malt grain. i used two 3.3 lbs of light malt extract. is that enough? Maybe i read the hydrometer wrong. ohh well i took a reading before i bottled it the batch and it was 1.011

i just checked out my beer last night and its apearance was mostly clear and i could see sedement on the bottom. this tells me the beer is aging well. it probably taste like butt because of unfinished buisness in the yeast department.

i think your right on the leaving it in the primary for 2weeks, just easier.

Was it this? I copied this from the Arbor website:
AMBER LAGER (Similar to Sam Adams Lager) $ 37.00
3.3 lb can Hopped Malt Extract
2 lbs. Amber DME
Hops
Yeast, Priming Sugar and Bottle Caps

Did your kit come with the 2 lbs of DME? If that got left out, that will explain your low gravity.

(Oh, and thanks for being a good sport.)

jonmohno said:
seriously though ,was this a kit? what was the og suppose to be? If we know more we can evaluate more but for now time is what your looking at.
brew some more,you will make good beer.

its a brewers best kit, unfortunately the kit isent idiot proof

JonM said:
Was it this? I copied this from the Arbor website:
AMBER LAGER (Similar to Sam Adams Lager) $ 37.00
3.3 lb can Hopped Malt Extract
2 lbs. Amber DME
Hops
Yeast, Priming Sugar and Bottle Caps

Did your kit come with the 2 lbs of DME? If that got left out, that will explain your low gravity.

(Oh, and thanks for being a good sport.)

no i made a pale ale not an amber ale, it didnt come with all that stuff just the prior mentioned butteralmond stuff.

Back