Adding grape concentrate on secondry ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleisteruk

Reaction score
Hi all, I Have made a 2gall batch of Turbo Cider/wine with a Initial gravity of around 1070. Its finished its primary and its been racked off to secondary,My problem is it seems to have no taste to it at all. I used water to add the sugar which was my first mistake!
Needless to say I wont be doing that anytime again soon! (you live and learn)

So my question really is, Could I add some white grape concentrate to the secondary to give it more flavor and body and then leave it to do its magic for a few months. Or should I just notch it down to experience and drink this flavorless batch then start again?

Many thanks for any advice given

You can definitely back sweeten it with what ever works for your taste. I would recommend killing the yeast first with some potassium sorbate or C tablets. Otherwise you will risk secondary fermentation. It won't bottle carb but I usually don't bottle carb any of my wine/ciders

Hey, Thanks Fletcher21.

Ive bought some wilko white grape juice concentrate to give it some body and hopefully taste:)

Is it a bad idea to secondary ferment? I thought even though Ive racked it from primary off into a clean Demijon Its still fermenting? (forgive my utter noobness)

I was planning on keeping it in second demi for 2months then bottling?

No it's not bad it just will eat up some of the sugars and can eliminate some of the added flavor of the juice. So it all depends on the final taste you are looking to get.

I would have gone with some cans of frozen apple juice concentrate to get some more flavor.

What yeast did you use? Turbo yeast? I've never used it, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is not a good yeast to use as it strips out flavor. It is normally used for high alcohol and quick fermenting for distilling.

Ah, I understand now Fletcher21 thanks for explaining :)

Hey Calder, I used a standard wine yeast in 3/4 gall whole pressed apple juice(not from concentrate) then topped off with water and sugar - this is why its tasteless I think.
Next time I will only use whole fruit juice!

Ive added the grape concentrate, so now I'll sit and wait. See how it turns out.

Thanks for your help:)

Back