Water Quality Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the Brun Water Program and I need a little help. I have most of the water quality report but it looks like i am missing some information and some other info I do not know where to put it.
Here is the info I have
Calcium- 24 mg/L is this the same as ppm?
Mag 14.5
Potassium- unknown- Is this imoprtant?
Bicarbonate- 6 mg
Carbonate Hardness- 74 mg- I did not know where to put this?
Non-caronate hardness- 46 mg- I did not know where to put this.
Chloride- Unknown- Is this important?
Nitrate (N03)- 4mg
Nitrate (NO2) unknown- Is this important?
PH 9.3 is this high?

If i am need the unkowns I may be able to send to a lab if I need to. What other info do i need to have. Once I put into the chart what tab should I look at next? I am going to make Denny Rye IPA. What profile would I go with #48 pale ale? Where do I enter this information? Thanks for the help.

Yes, mg/L is the same as ppm for dilute solutions like brewing water.

Potassium is usually low, so its unimportant.

Carbonate hardness is the same as alkalinity, so I don't understand why the report says bicarb is 6 mg. Bicarb should be more like 89 ppm.

Nitrite is usually low, so its unimportant.

Chloride and sulfate are important. Looking at the hardness, it suggests that the chloride and sulfate are probably fairly low (say <30 ppm). The problem is that the report also does not include sodium. Sodium is another important ion to help decipher this profile.

Time to make a phone call to the water company lab or send a sample to Ward.

Back