white mold on fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mf6421

Reaction score
A few weeks after adding fruit to a portion of pale sour beer, i noticed some white mold hanging out on top of the fruit. I never noticed any mold during the beer's 8 months in secondary. I don't plan on touching it for a while, I'm just curious if this is common.

ForumRunner_20120924_211601.jpg

Pellicle, it will get larger, don't worry and don't touch it just let it sit for a few months at least. You won't recognize the fruit at the end.

Hmmm interesting, I'm seeing something similar in a few of my carboys of meads, and even in some bottled wines. So that might not actually be mold? I just assumed it was mold ...

Haha yes, I was looking at the wiki article, yum, "The flavor contributed by Brettanomyces is often called barnyard, but has also been described as gamy, or as smelling like damp wool, leather, wet fur, a sweaty saddle or horse blanket, or a butcher shop." Wet Dog Ale? It even smelling like a saddle might be enough, but a sweaty saddle, that is a whole 'nother dimension.

Back