Cold Crashing versus Plate Filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastricky

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have the space for a 2nd fridge and don't want to continue to tie up my kegerator anymore when I cold crash.

I finally bit the bullet and have a plate filter coming to me with kegs and CO2, etc.

I would still condition in secondary, but rather than cold crash, just do the plate filtering and then bottle.

Will I be missing out on anything with this process in terms of the quality of the beer?

Specifically when it comes to say an IIPA which sometimes calls for cold crashing for up to 4 weeks... what if I just kept it in primary/secondary a bit longer and then filtered?

Look forward to what y'all have to say... :mug:

I have been working on my packaging process lately and right now my plan for my next batch is to rack from primary after fermentation is complete to a keg and add some gelatin rest for 24-48 hrs and then crash @ 32 degrees for 24 - 48 hrs, then filter.

I'm thinking that you might have an issue when you go to bottle condition after filtration.

There was a Brewing Network podcast recently on how one guy (Mike "Tasty" McDole) does his filtering process using a plate filter. Check out the Brewing Network show "Brew Strong" archives for it

I think crash cooling to lower temps before filtering would be a good idea. If you're removing particulate, solids, and flocs that precipitate when the temperature is dropped, theres no need to let it sit for extended periods. Other than for flavor conditioning, my impression is that the only reason to let the beer sit at low temps for days at a time is to allow for precipitated solids (yeast, protiens, etc) to slowly settle to the bottom, thus clearing the beer.

I've never used a filter, but it makes sense to me that chilling before filtering would be best.

Yup, that's what I've learned Pangea... that you've got to get the beer to serving temp (@38 degrees) before filtering to avoid chill haze. So at least I wouldn't need to let it sit in the fridge for days on end - I can now put the fermenter in the fridge overnight and in the morning take it out and filter away.

I'm still not sure what difference there would be if I no longer cold condition for a month with my IIPA's... guess there's only one way to find out!

Latest posts

Back