Odds and ends beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMU

Reaction score
I ordered a bunch of grain a couple of weeks ago, I brewed a CC and an Alt, my buddy did a Dogfish Head IPA clone and an ESB. We've got a few pounds of Pils malt, a few pounds of Munich and scraps of this and that leftover - hopefully enough for 3 somewhat 'small' beers. Here's one I'm thinking of.
What do you think? We also have 2 kinds of roasted barley, some Simpson's medium crystal, Weyerman CaraMunich 2, Simcoe, Citra, Tettnang, Amarillo, Ahtanum, Fuggles, Warrior and Cascade hops. Other recipe suggestions appreciated, especially something with the Munich Malt.

6#2-row Pils malt
2#Briess 20L Caramel
14 OZ Simpson extra dark crystal
2 OZ Franco-Belges Kiln Coffee
Hops:
60-75 min. - 3/4 OZ Sorachi Ace leaf (15.1% AA)
30 min. - 1/4 OZ SA, 1 OZ Hallertau leaf (3.3 % AA)
15-0 min. - 1/4 OZ SA, 1 OZ Hallertau

Mash with 4 gall. 40 min at 145, 20 min. at 155
Sparge with 4 Gall
Boil down to ~ 5.5 gallons (~90 min.)
Pitch Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Simple is best. 85% pilsner, 15% light munich, ~25 IBU (60 mins and 15 mins). You will not be disappointed.

That's a lot of caramel malt. While you can do with a little more caramel malt in a small session beer, I think 30% of the grain bill is too much. BrewSmith and Brewstrong have done podcasts on Session beers which are pretty good. The "Mad Fermentationist" is on the beersmith one and he does a lot of small beers.

A basic idea is to scale down all your grains equally. So starting with a 1.060 brown ale, cut all the grains in half to get a 1.030. Then bump up your specialty malts just a bit, and do a hop schedule to get a similar Gravity/IBU ration.

Point taken. Are you thinking that there won't be enough enzymes in the pils to convert the rest? Or do you think it would just be too sweet?
This will only be my 5th ag batch, 6th overall, so the advice helps.
BTW, what do you think of the S Ace/Hallertau combo?

It would likely be too sweet. You will probably use up the grain eventually, but I would avoid putting them all in one batch. Unless your choices are brew beer with the grains we have or brew no beer at all, I'd try to split them up more.

If you're planning on 3 beers, you can split up each of those caramel malts and try some APAs. Throw in some Munich, and you've got a great beer. Buying some more base malt would be cheap, and a good way to do some "experimental" beers to use up your leftover grains.

As for SA and Hallertau, I've never used SA, so I'm not too sure how it'd mix with Hallertau. I'm sure it wouldn't be bad, but you can never tell if it's good until you try it.

Back