Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still a newbie so only one rack of pork spare ribs on my brinkman smoke n pit. Still getting my technique dialed in.

Got some wings marinating in whatever fell in the bag and going to smoke them. Wanted to do the smoked hot wings but my daughter gave me that look when I said "hot".

I haven't been able to make wild turkey taste much better than "OK" by injecting with butter. At least waterfowl have a little fat on them.

Best wild turkey I ever had was years ago. The cook put a picnic ham on the top rack, with the Turkey under it. Then put thick sliced country bacon on top of the Turkey. Damn that was a tastey bird

Smoking a 13.5 lb Prime whole packer brisket on my Masterbuilt Electric Smoker today. The thing was huge and when whole wouldnt fit on the rack. I had no choice but to cut it in half and cook most of the flat as a separate hunk. I am 10 hours into the cook at 225 degrees. The IT of the thinner flat portion is stalled out at 165, but I am going to ignore the urge to foil wrap or bump up the pit temp. I want to see how well it turns out this way. I probably have 4 more hours left to cook.

Had a 19 lb one that took 24 hours one time. Hit two stalls that took multiple hours each. But it was dam good

image-1323012399.jpg

Final product and excellent.

wings look Good! so does that long hammer IPA haha good stuff you got there

do mind sharing what you did to the wings, recipe and what not, they almost looked fried, very delicious looking!

On my way to the butcher's to get two pork butts. I'll do one with a rub and take it to pulling temp. The other will get a rub of powdered rosemary, garlic, Kosher salt, and pepper, and we'll take that to only 180-190ish and cut it into slices.

picked up a 10 pound brisket the other day, plan to toss it in the pellet smoker tomorrow. any pointers?

2 butts on Friday for a BBQ. First time smoking for a party, looking forward to flexing my muscle. Also looking forward to my friends drinking down my pipeline a bit.

Gonna have a 7lb brisket on the smoker this weekend, along with a pork butt and some ribs. Trying to think up some quick and easy smoked appetizers as well!

My wife picked up two fresh racks of spareribs from the butcher today, about 5 pounds each. I just finished rubbing them and stuck them in the fridge until tomorrow. Were going to do the ribs with some smoked potato skins stuffed with twice baked potatoes with garlic roasted on the smoker. Mmmm. Oh, and wash it all down with some homebrew!

wings look Good! so does that long hammer IPA haha good stuff you got there

do mind sharing what you did to the wings, recipe and what not, they almost looked fried, very delicious looking!

Quite honestly can't remember all the additions to the bag. There was some red pepper flake, sat, paper, garlic salt, little lemon juice, sure some other things. The fried look is from a dusting of a rub I made from the Smoke and Spice cookbook. I ended up hitting them under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp them up.

What a great day to fire up the smoker. The heat has been oppressive all week, but today it is sunny and 70F, with a perfect light breeze. The ribs have been on the smoker for a couple of hours with a mixture of hickory and apple wood and just started roasting some garlic for the twice baked potatoes we will stuff into smoked potato skins later. In another hour or so we will also slide a pan of baked beans under the ribs to catch all those yummy pork drippings. And to top it all off, I am enjoying a pint of Yooper's Ruination clone. Hope everyone has an enjoyable an safe Independence Day.

I spent a good part of the day makin spent grain pretzel buns for some pit bbq'd cheese burgers with cheddar. Made some essence with dried mustard in it to season'em with. And some sweet Italian sausage. That last bad storm we had blew down a lot of branches out of the ash tree in the back. Smoker wood now! Smells spicy,like black oak...rather odd. But hey,so much the better. My wife made this yummy smelling Chinese slaw with ramen noodles,sunflower kernals,cashews & green onions. And her black beans with adobo sauce & onions. All gettin washed down with my Maori IPA...happy 4th y'all!

Never had them so here is my first swing at the ABTs. Mix of apple and hickory on the smoker. Also doing some Italian Sausage with peppers and onions on the Weber. Getting washed down with some HB Wit.

image-3686841654.jpg

Looks good when I make them I sprinkle some applewood (spices) flavor to them.really changes the flavor

I hit them with some creole seasoning shortly thereafter. They were alright. I think I missed the mark somewhere as nothing really jumped out as great. Little greasy for me I guess.

Gonna be putting a 8.5lb pork butt in the smoker come midnight tonight. Can't wait!

Smoked 18 chicken thighs on the kamado Friday night. Leftovers went onto pizzas, also on the kamado.

image-4066994633.jpg

Finally after 19 hours at 225 this butt gave in to defeat. Longest burn I've ever had and a long night of getting up every 2 hours trying to sleep off a day long bender.

image-1903931864.jpg

image-1452932778.jpg

Just pulled this baby out of the smoker after smoking all night. This morning it hit 205 degrees so I wrapped it in foil and it's sitting in a cooler till noon time, then it'll be ready for lunch!

I had the smoker going for 28 hours straight this weekend but not a gram of meat got smoked. I smoked 2 pounds of coarse sea salt-14 hours with pecan, 10 hours with mesquite. At the same time I smoked 10 pounds of 2 row pale with pecan, and 6 pounds of rye malt with mesquite. There's gonna be rauchbier at our Oktoberfest this year.

Doing a beer can chicken for dinner tonight. Using some Shock Top Apple Ale since I don't like it. I'll post pictures during the cook day. Going to throw some corn on the cob on about half way through.

2 hours in, throwing the corn on and spraying with the leftover Shock Top and some apple juice

Well I forgot to take final pictures...again. But it was delicious. Chicken didn't look much different. Corn was a little dry but still had a nice smoked flavor

I just got an electric smoker and put on some ribs for this evening. I'm really excited to see how they turn out.

im sure they will surprise you will how good they are, electric smokers are the shiz, i wish i had one

I have a masterbuilt, its awesome. Used it today for some country style pork ribs and a whole chicken. I think charcoal has better flavor but the electric is quick and easy-to-use. Not to mention you can leave the house and not have to worry about a fire.

Back