Grain Mill Gaps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone?

I found some 1-3/4 round stock in the scrap pile. Not sure if it is hardened or not. Can hardened stock be knurled?

monster mill(mm2) has their first gap around .60", crankenstein(3e) uses .70". The second gap is adjustable on both, 0" to .65" on MM, .1" to .7" for CS.

For harder material you would need more specialized (harder) tools. If this is just a one time project it's probably not worth buying cobalt, and would be easier/cheaper just to put a different finish on it. Maybe sand blast/steel bead it or dremel some grooves into it.

The MM 3 roller mills are recommended at .037 - .055". I am running mine at 0.042" measured at the knurling with a fit that allows me to freely slide the gapper across the whole length of the rollers, I had it with a tight fit at 0.040" and I had to run to the LHBS for some rice hulls. I will probably adjust mine down a little more but I am getting about 75% efficiency now.

Are you gaping with feeler gauges?

yes the 0.042" that I am currently using was done properly with a feeler gauge previously I tried a 0.040" but had it tight and it was way too fine a crush. dough balls formed instantly and too a great extent, what I thought was 0.040" was probably in the 0.03's]

Yeah, It would be pretty tough to measure down in the gaps. The grain is getting crushed by the peaks and not the valleys anyway.

Just getting some ducks in a row... i will need to see if i can knurl this round stock before i start designing the mill. If it can't be knurled I will rough it up somehow so that it grabs the grain and cracks it.

On my (two roll) BC I just used a credit card (read that somewhere)
I get a good crush and good sparge (~75% Eff.. but mainly due to temperature issues)

Huaco said:
Just getting some ducks in a row... i will need to see if i can knurl this round stock before i start designing the mill. If it can't be knurled I will rough it up somehow so that it grabs the grain and cracks it.

Do you have a punch or drill and small bit? If you can punch a small dimple or start cutting with the drill bit you know that it can be machined. It's not scientific at all but will give you an idea. Don't spend several hundred dollars in the machine shop building a mill that you can buy for 2 hundred.

Do you have a punch or drill and small bit? If you can punch a small dimple or start cutting with the drill bit you know that it can be machined. It's not scientific at all but will give you an idea. Don't spend several hundred dollars in the machine shop building a mill that you can buy for 2 hundred.

I have access to a Rockwell hardness tester... I will know this weekend EXACTLY how hard this stuff is!
Also, I work in metal fabrication and I am going to talk to the guy at the machine shop that does all our work to see if he would do the work for homebrew! Shouldn't be to much work. Maybe an hour or two a few nights a week. I operate SolidWorks. I will have it all laid out and ready to go when the time comes to make chips fly...

Huaco said:
I have access to a Rockwell hardness tester... I will know this weekend EXACTLY how hard this stuff is!
Also, I work in metal fabrication and I am going to talk to the guy at the machine shop that does all our work to see if he would do the work for homebrew! Shouldn't be to much work. Maybe an hour or two a few nights a week. I operate SolidWorks. I will have it all laid out and ready to go when the time comes to make chips fly...

Awesome. Hope it works out.

Back