Lager Fermentation Schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpalmer1392

Reaction score
Okay, so any input here is welcome.

I just brewed my first lager and started fermentation around 53 degrees. What I would call active fermentation(seeing bubbles) didn't start for a week. It has been bubbling now for about 1 week. When I open the freezer there is a very noticeable order. Not sure if this is normal or not? Should I through it out?

Thanks In Advance

Jeez no don't pitch it!!! Work it through the scheduled fermentation! You've got a plan surely, stick to it!
Cheers!!!

The sulfur smell is typical of lager fermentation. Your reaction is a common one. Also, a long lag time, though pronounced in your case (did you use a healthy starter?) is far more common with lagers than ales.

RDWHAHB. Everything is happening as it should.

Okay, so any input here is welcome.

I just brewed my first lager and started fermentation around 53 degrees. What I would call active fermentation(seeing bubbles) didn't start for a week. It has been bubbling now for about 1 week. When I open the freezer there is a very noticeable order. Not sure if this is normal or not? Should I through it out?

Thanks In Advance

The most common mistake new lager brewers make is to underpitch. If it took a week for you to see bubbles (especially at 53 degrees) this is likely what happened.

Are you familiar with the smell of CO2? This could be what you are smelling when you open your freezer. It will burn your nose a bit and, if you keep breathing it in, make you light-headed. I recently fermented 17.5 gallons at once in my chest freezer and the CO2 was overpowering.

The second most common mistake new lager brewers make is to not use their hydrometer. It's surprising how many believe it's spelled C-A-L-E-N-D-A-R. You have to use your hydrometer to tell you when to give your beer a d-rest (if it needs one--but I certainly wouldn't assume it doesn't, especially if you underpitched).

Read the link in my signature--it will give you some of the basics on brewing lagers and food for thought as you become more advanced.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back