Bars and Bottle Shops in Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfkriege

Reaction score
In a few weeks I am going to be in Chicago, and am unfamiliar with the area. I am going to be down by Navy Pier. Are there any bars/pubs or bottle shops that people recommend? A good bar/pub within walking distance would be excellent.

If there is a really excellent bottle shop around, I would be willing to drive a bit. I love good sour beers and would love to be able to find some of the Lost Abbey sours or some more rare beers. I have to play a bit when I get outside of Southern Indiana (there are a few decent shops, but nothing like the big cities)

Thanks,

Joshua

I wouldn't bother visiting "bells" not sure it exists...http://www.manta.com/c/mm86kqc/bell-s-brewery-inc . Do check out Binny's in the south loop, probably the best you'll find if you are in the city. Goose Island for sure, half acre, metropolitan, lots of good beer bars to check out, like hopleaf, map room(world renowned), local option, charlie's ale house, quenchers. The suburbs offer 3 floyds brewery, flossmoor station(really good brewpub), two brothers(really good brewers/ery). I'll give a shout out to Barley and Hops(my bottle shop in Glenwood), if you make it to Flossmoor station its right down the street.

Yes, I just stopped by S. Loop Binny's today and it's amazing. I remember seeing a **** ton of Lost Abbey Ales but don't recall sours in particular. They had the adam and eve stout and many ales advertising raisins, etc... Probably a total of 6-7 different brews so I may have missed out on one. I actually work at the Whole Foods a few blocks from there. I think the Map Room is within decent driving distance of S. Loop too and it's rated similar to hop leaf though I've never been to m.r. (new to chicago). As someone who lives close to hop leaf I much prefer a newer bar called "fountainhead" that is close driving distance from hop leaf in fact. If you're looking for good sours I'd go there before hop leaf. You should be able to check out their tap and bottle list online. The manager's an ******* but I keep going back for the good beer. Hop Leaf tends to attract massive amounts of loud people that you may or not want to be around, based merely on its deserved or not deserved reputation. Fountainhead has a more layed back atmosphere, generally less people, but not as good food.

Goose Island. That's my favorite brewery in Chicago. I'm originally from there, but have been going to school in AZ for a few years. Goose Island has great food as well as great beer.

As far as Bars go, not knowing you at all, I recommend Clark St. Ale House and Map Room as beer bars. I tend to end up at Cobra Lounge for the rock and roll atmosphere.

Goose Island brewpub. Piece has great pizza and their own brews. Im a regular at The Beer Bistro. Great local bar feel with over 150 beers and staff is very knowledgeable on them all.

does anyone know where to find rare bottles in Chicago? I've found that there seem to be several unmarked general stores with decent finds. There's a Puerto Rican grocer on Augusta that I went to because beermenu said they had Abacus last month. I didn't find abacus but I did find a couple of four packs of 2009 Old Stock Ale.

I'm on a hunt for Cuir and Abacus if anyone can recommend places that might still have those around.

Latest posts

Back