Help with temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chachie

Reaction score
Hey all! I have a couple questions. Currently i live in northern nevada, in an upstairs apt...a double negative that does NOT equal a positive. I try not to run my AC due to cost. However i currently have a primary going and it does not like the 80* ambiant that my apt sits at. So what i have been doing is turning on the AC and closing every vent except the one in the spare room where the primary is. However, i have no way of controlling this temperature. My question to you is, if I go to home depot and buy a honeywell digital thermostat, can i extend the temperature sensor from it into the spare room(10' away) so that i can control the temperature of just that room?

Swamp cooler: A big tub that the primary sits in, fill with water, drape a t-shirt/towel over the primary and run a fan. You can also add frozen water bottles and swap them out as necessary if additional cooling is required. The cold water will help maintain a consistent temperature in the 60's. It costs less than $10.00 and is very effective.

Primary in the water isnt a bad idea though... Just have to find something big enough for a 15.5 gal keg...

Hang Glider said:
Hmmm - 10+ gallons of a beer that fermented at 80+ ???
so sorry. yecchhh !

Well actually it's cider. But you are correct...I taste tested it yesterday and it's pretty bland.

So I checked the gravity and it still has a ways to go. Starting was 1.065 and yesterday it was 1.024. So I think I might put it in a swamp cooler and leave it be for a few more days and check it again. How cold can I get it before it cold crashes?

Son of a *****...false alarm...my thermometer is broken. Just walked into the keg room and got goose bumps cause it was chilly and the thermometer read 105*....

Don't think so but I do know that you can fit 2 6 gal better bottles in one bag and have enough head room.

Back