Green Beer after Kegging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfieldenator

Reaction score
Does anyone else notice that it takes a good 3-4 weeks before that green beer flavor goes away after kegging a beer? It seems like it takes forever! I kegged a beer on Aug 24 and it still isn't fully "ripe" at least to my tastes. Its fully carbonated and good otherwise, but its way too yeasty and "green" tasting still! Am I the only one that experiences this?

How much time elapsed between brewing and kegging?

My "normal" brews (around 60 point OGs) usually don't make it into a keg for at least 4 weeks, usually closer to 5. Then by the time they've carbed up that's another week and a half to two weeks, so total time from pitching to serving averages around 6 weeks. By then they're actually pretty mellow, but they'll still improve a bit before they kick. fwiw, I cold crash to 34°F for four to five days before kegging. Definitely no yeast bite left...

Cheers!

My wife tasted my altbier last night, 1 day after I kegged it and still flat. She pronounced it delicious. If she says it's good it must be. It was in primary for 3 weeks so it's already very clear.

I usually don't keg until at least 3-5 weeks of fermentation is over. It depends on how long primary fermentation lasts and how long I want to leave the beer on the dry hops. I've done cold crashing before, and I was happy with the results, but I don't have the refrigerator space to do this every time.

Back