All Grain forum suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Items like that tend to go in the Beginners section.
If you are going AG then you should really be capable of reading, searching and researching. The Wiki is a good resource. It would be foolish (IMHO) to go AG without knowing the Basics and the FAQs.
If it's an urgent response or a point of view then you'll always get quick answers.

Just my tuppence worth. (Yes I know it sounds a bit EAC)

orfy said:
Items like that tend to go in the Beginners section.
If you are going AG then you should really be capable of reading, searching and researching. The Wiki is a good resource. It would be foolish (IMHO) to go AG without knowing the Basics and the FAQs.
If it's an urgent response or a point of view then you'll always get quick answers.

Just my tuppence worth. (Yes I know it sounds a bit EAC)

Yes and no. Yes, you should know some term, but AG brings on all new rules, terms, calcs, and equipment. Maybe OP was asking for a "AG Newb FAQ". Even after brewing a dozen beers, I had a LOT of newb questions when I went AG.

Cheesefood said:
Yes and no. Yes, you should know some term, but AG brings on all new rules, terms, calcs, and equipment. Maybe OP was asking for a "AG Newb FAQ". Even after brewing a dozen beers, I had a LOT of newb questions when I went AG.

Yep thats what I meant. Both the links I posted up have lots of good AG info in them. Strike temp, mashing are not what I would expect in the beginner section. Just seems that in the past there have been some awsome threads with tons of helpful info in them, that will just go to waste. And then a few weeks later the same question gets asked.

I think it's a good idea- the only concern I have is that no one seems to read the sticky threads. If we only have, say, one sticky thread with a title like AG FAQs and then separate threads for each question, they might get looked at. I'm guilty of this as much as anyone- I don't even see the sticky threads anymore.

The other suggestion I would add to this is to make it "read only", that is no questions. Questions can be asked (and answered) in the forum, but I don't want to clutter up a sticky. That's one of the reasons I don't even look at the sticky threads any more.

We should really try to leverage the wiki for this kind of thing. Have the sticky with links to specific sections in the wiki and have it branch out from there as it needs to. That way the sticky thread doesn't need to be edited but the wiki can grow and change as required.

bradsul said:
We should really try to leverage the wiki for this kind of thing. Have the sticky with links to specific sections in the wiki and have it branch out from there as it needs to. That way the sticky thread doesn't need to be edited but the wiki can grow and change as required.
I think this is the best idea. I am like Lorena and don't even see the stickies anymore. Maybe they are more prominent when you are new on the site, but I think a lot of new AG brewers could also be seasoned HBT'ers.

I really like this idea. I am new to AG, and I think a one source AG FAQ would be awesome. I really hate asking questions when I know that the information is in another thread, but sometimes I have a hard time finding it. Maybe the real issue is that I am a dumb ass and don't know how to effectively use the search function. Nevertheless, this would fix one problem and put a bandaid on the other.:cross:

Yooper Chick said:
The other suggestion I would add to this is to make it "read only", that is no questions. Questions can be asked (and answered) in the forum, but I don't want to clutter up a sticky. That's one of the reasons I don't even look at the sticky threads any more.

I think that would be the best way. If new informative threads come up, the link could just be put in the post by a mod. I agree that most of the sticky threads get way to cluttered up.

Back