Bottling Tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1999

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
So I have a quick question. I will be bottling my first batch tomorrow if my final gravity reading checks out. The directions with my kit say bottle in 7 - 10 days. I have read in a few places on this site though that some people like to keep their beer in the primary for 2 - 4 weeks. So even if the FG is hit, should I keep it in the fermenter for longer? Furthermore, when I open the primary, what should my beer look like? Should I have foam on top? Should it just be the beer with no foam? Etc....
Thanks for the help!

MAY HAVE SOME BUBBLES BUT NO KRAUZEN (foam) THAT SHOULD HAVE FALLEN. TAKE A GRAVITY READING FOR A COUPLE DAYS IN A ROW AND SEE IF IT CHANGES THEN YOU COULD BOTTLE. ID WAIT ATLEAST 2 WEEKS THO..... I KNOW ITS HARD

SORRY FOR CAPS

Make sure to check three consecutive days of SG and make sure it doesnt change. If it doesnt its done. Dont go by air lock bubbles or what the kit instructions say. There are a lot of varriables to fermentation ( temp, healty of yeast, ect...)

After it is done fermenting it is a smart idea to let it sit for 2-3 more days to let the yeast clean up some of the by products of fermentation.

When you open the fermenter and fermentation is complete krausen should have fallen so there shouldnt be a ton of foam.

+1, gravity readings for 3 days primary for at least 2 weeks. I just did a beer that was 3.1 %, let it stay in primary for 2 1/2 weeks, even though it was done in 4-5 days, yeast still have some work to do!

Little foam, but a krausen you will notice. wait a few days, to be honest before you bottle! Well worth the wait!

If its in a bucket, be warned, there is going to be a bunch of nasty looking gunk on the sides and top. There may even be a little left floating on the beer. It is also going to look a lot darker than it will in a glass.

For timing, FG readings are great, but you should also taste it. If it tastes like good beer, it's ready to bottle. If not, let it sit in the primary longer.

You want to be careful you don't leave it fermenting too long. That could give u off flavors. Make sure your gravity isn't still dropping and if not bottle right away.

I actually prefer to leave my beers in primary for 2-3 days after fermentation is done. Yeast clean up some nasty tasting bi products of fermentation after all the sugar is gone. I take several months for yeast lysis to occur and create off flavors.

grey487 said:
You want to be careful you don't leave it fermenting too long. That could give u off flavors. Make sure your gravity isn't still dropping and if not bottle right away.

I am no expert on the subject, but from what I've read this isn't always true. People on HBT, some with years of brewing experience, report no off flavors after leaving a beer in primary for a month or more. I left my dubbel in primary for 30 days (at least 16 days after the gravity stabilized) and it tasted great. Well, at least to my palate.

Little foam, but a krausen you will notice.

as master yoda says, you, yes, will. :D i leave my beers in the fermenter based on abv and color, usually. higher abv and darker beers take longer, but i made a dark mild i was drinking 10 days after brewing. usually, except for blondes, milds, and hefes, i leave them in for 3 weeks to a month

I usually do a minimum of three weeks in the primary then three weeks or more in the bottle depending on the brew. Like lumpher stated, heavier beers can stand more time in the primary and bottle (or keg if you're so inclined). Those instructions that tell you 7-10 days, then bottle, will wind up giving you the basic definition of beer. Following the advice of people on here will give you, "Wow, I made that?!" kinda beer.

Back