My Single PID, Two Element Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epcgordy

Reaction score
Inspired by many hours of reading this forum, I decided it was time to upgrade from my stove-top, gravity system to an all-electric setup. I was particularly intrigued by the build done by jsguitar, using a single PID to control 2 elements in separate vessels. So, I've spent my spare time the last couple of months putting this together.

My goals were to expand to 10 gal. batches, and eliminate the need for lifting large containers of hot liquid. Moving from the kitchen to the garage is a plus appreciated by SWIMBO, as well.

Many thanks go out to Kal, PJ, and all those contributing to the DIY and Electric Brewing forums, especially the Soldering Stainless Steel thread. I could never have even envisioned something like this without them.

The first run happened on New Year's Day, and was for the most part a huge success. After a few adjustments, the second run yesterday was nearly flawless. I now have 11 gals of Aberdeen Nut Brown Ale bubbling away int the fermentation chamber!

I'll post a few more pix as I get the chance.

Brewery Overview.jpg

Inside Control Panel.jpg

BK and MT.jpg

Wow, I wish I had half the skill or patience you do to build something like this of my own. Your cable management is immaculate. Nice clean build!

Very nice! I especially like the neat wiring job in the panel.

Is that a butcher block under the kettle and mash tun? What kind of wood is it? Where did you get it? I just bought a bunch a bunch of that stuff for a stereo rack that I'm about to build, but I've never seen it used as part of a brew stand. I like it.

One question, where is the second element? and are you using only 2 vessels?

kevink -

The butcherblock countertop is repurposed from a pair of old dishwasher tops that I had been storing for years, figuring that they were too good to just throw out. I finally found a good use for them! I have woodworking tools setup in a spare shopspace at work-they come in handy once in a while.

mattd2 -

At this point in the new brewery, I'm only using the element in the BK. Someday soon I hope to add a larger HLT, and wanted the panel to be ready for that eventuality. Not shown in the pix is my old BK, which I'm using in the interim as my HLT. I'm heating strike and sparge water in the BK, then pumping to the HLT, which sits in the shelf to the right on the MLT.

Ok, makes sense. I know what you mean but doing things right once by spending a bit more now so that you are not redoing work later (and potentially costing more money in the long run).
I was asking because I am looking to set up a 2 vessel electric brewery (until I find my last keg to convert;))

Nice build!! Do you happen to have a wiring diagram and/or parts list?

Here is the wiring diagram I used. It's based on one of PJ's diagrams, and modified to suit my preferences. I don't have a parts list, but used commonly available parts. The timer and PID are from Auber, the relays, switches, etc. are items I found on Ebay.

My control diagram.jpg

What a nice compact system! The wiring diagram is not very legible. Could you send it to me via email or PM? Thanks!

I found the busbars (terminal strips) at home depot. You can find them at McMaster and other online sources as well.

Latest posts

Back