dry hop preferences

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion7144

Reaction score
I have about 7 batches under my belt including AG and the only ones that show floaties are the ones I have dry hopped. I only keg and cold crash so I can see the first few pulls but this is much more than that.

What are the recommended ways to do it? I have just been throwing them in the primary after fermentation is completed. then letting sit for another week before kegging.

Have the room to cold crash prior to kegging? I dry hop for a week, cod crash over night at 30-32F, then keg it up, after a week in the keg, its clear as a bell.

No room to crash before kegging. Maybe this summer since I plan on getting a fridge for a fermentation chamber.

For dryhopping, I prefer pellet hops. After 6-10 days, they typically sink. If any hop particles are left on the surface at that time, then a nylon mesh paint strainer bag from Home Depot, wrapped around the auto-siphon when transferring will help with that. The prime goal is filtering without introducing oxygen, which is why you should wrap the auto-siphon instead of transferring & splashing the beer through mesh material from a height.

Some people say cold crashing helps to drop out dryhops, but I beg to differ. It's the extended 3-7 days of added time that further helps any non-yeast/protein particulates to drop... not the change in temperature. Cold crashing IPAs in my experience is only beneficial for clarity purposes when you use a low floc yeast. I've skipped the cold crash for many an IPA, using medium-high to high floc yeast, and I've always had crystal clear beers despite using a ton of hops and no gelatin or clarifiers other than plain old whirlfloc in the kettle.

Back