Effects of temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoom233

Reaction score
I think this is the best place to post this, if not where would the better place be?

I was wondering what the effects of warmer, cooler, and fluctuating temperatures during fermentation are? I ask because at this time I’m kinda at the mercy of the temperature of my home which I can’t afford to keep at 70ish 24 hours a day and it’s a bit on the drafty side anyway.

Has anybody seen plans for or built some sort of temperature controlled closet for fermenting? I’d be thinking of a pretty low buck approach.

Any other input my ignorance isn’t allowing me to ask for?

TIA,
Bryan

Different yeasts produce different flavors at different temperatures, some of which are desirable and some of which aren't. But it really depends on the yeast. Most ale yeasts are fine in the 60's with lower temps resulting in slower fermentations. A classic example are hefeweizen yeasts which produce clove-like flavors at lower temps and banana/bubblegum flavors at higher temps.

Here's a link to a pretty slick fermentation cooler which is relatively low $$:
http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF
It could be done even cheaper by skimping on the insulation. In the case where you want to raise the temperature inside the chamber I have seen incandanscent bulbs used, such as with a mechanics light.

How about an old refrigerator with a waterbed heater system inside? My old WB thermostat goes down to 70, but probbaly ain't accurate, and it is about a 4 degree range. My newer one is tighter, about 2 degs. Wrap the heater around the fermenter, and put the bulb under it. Broken reefers are free, waterbed stuf ought to cost $5 at the swap meet, or $30 on eBay....

casebrew said:
How about an old refrigerator with a waterbed heater system inside? My old WB thermostat goes down to 70, but probbaly ain't accurate, and it is about a 4 degree range.

That's what I am using this winter. I put a thermometer in the frig... fluctuates from 70 to 72. :)
Got 6 gal of Cabernet in there (gotta keep the wife happy) and a gallon of fig wine (for next Christmas). Just bottled my sage-orange wine.

Most members already touched on this topic (what flavors are contributed by what temperature range), but as far as controlling the fermentation of the beers I make, I just use a refrigerator thermostat. Works great, keeps the temperature of the ferment constant (within a degree or two).

BeeGee said:
It could be done even cheaper by skimping on the insulation. In the case where you want to raise the temperature inside the chamber I have seen incandanscent bulbs used, such as with a mechanics light.

Anyone have experience withe the incandescent bulb technique? Something like this might be the ticket for me, as I would like to move everything into the basement, but want to be able to control temp.

zoom233 said:
Has anybody seen plans for or built some sort of temperature controlled closet for fermenting? I’d be thinking of a pretty low buck approach.

TIA,
Bryan
I use an old wash tub with water with a couple foam pads wrapped around and some wood brackets to mount a couple aquarium heaters. I can maintain fermenting temp spot on in a 55 degree basement. have the same problem you have - heating with wood and fluctuating temps up stairs and 55 degrees in basement.

I do my fermenting in an old fridge with an air conditioner thermostat installed but
before I went all technological I had them in a large plastic crate with a lid that I put ice bottles in around the corners. It worked pretty well but I got a bit sick of changing waterbottles twice a day:D

Perhaps an insulated box is all you need. The yeasties nibbling at the sugars generate heat, and if the fermenter is well insulated, not much of that heat will escape.

I've never tried them, but the afore-mentioned water-bed heaters seem like a good idea.

Another possibility is a seed starting heater. see http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/PROD/seedstarting/agritapeheater for one example. or do a goggle on seed starting heaters. These are designed to heat a much smaller volume than the water-bed heaters. Again, I've never tried them.

Another thing I've never tried is the brew belt.

I wouldn't try the electric light because of the unfortunate effects that light can have on a brew.

The only thing I have tried was an electric powered oil filled radiator in a very small room. That worked like a charm.

-a.

BeeGee said:

I have two of these in operation and can vouch for their performance. You could ferment lagers in them easily (not to be confused with actual "lagering" which is done at temps below 40 F and often near freezing).

In the winter, I omit the ice in them and allow the heat of fermentation to heat up the chamber which works pretty well.

Prosit!

Latest posts

Back